'How to Catch Them' Series

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Reedling
Catfish

Re: 'How to Catch Them' Series

Post by Reedling »

I was just having a look through a box of books I have in a spare room and came across 'Specimen Fish' by Peter Stone from the How to catch them series. It is dated 1969 inside and has a dust jacket that is tattyish but not price clipped. I notice from the posts on here that it is a rarer book and wonder if anyone can give me an idea of value please. Thanks in anticipation, Reedling.

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Pay dirt time!

Lucky man. :Thumb:
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There's one on Abe Books site for £150.00 + £3.00 shipping (not to be confused with the Medlar Press new version at £26.79 inc delivery) :-

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD ... %3Bsts%3Dt
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thank you and well I never! I did not even realise that I had the book although I knew I had a couple of copies from the series somewhere. I shall have to sit down this evening and have a good read and open a bottle of my Elderberry wine as a treat. :Hat: Reedling.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Is it signed ??????? :Wink: Just teasing, Sir ... enjoy the book and the wine. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

I'd love to see a picture if you have time?

All the best,

Mark
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

Tyke Fisherman

Post by Tyke Fisherman »

Why use abebooks as a price guide? The Medlar Press version is available direct from Medlar at £12 + postage (where you can see an image of the book too). If you look at abebooks or other similar sites you can often find books for sale at ridiculously high prices, that's why they are there; because no one buys at those prices. These sites give ASKING prices not SELLING prices.

For all it's faults (and there are many) ebay does give you an idea of what the current open market price is, assuming that copies have sold on there recently. The last couple of copies of the original sold on ebay for around £80 + postage.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I got the roach and the eel books the other week, I should never have started.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

My experience has been slightly different to yours TF, Sir.

Oddly enough, I have often found that I've spotted a book on the Bay of E that I though I might like ... checked on Abe Books site ... found it cheaper ... and bought through them.

I quoted both the 1st edition original book price quoted and the new print Medlar quoted on Abe.

I'm pretty sure that people also monitor sites such as this. For example, just over 2 weeks ago I waxed lyrical in a post, here on the TFF, about a 3 book set I bought for £10 + £3 delivery from the excellent Coch-y-Bonddu Books through the Abe Books website. Coincidence it may be ... but suddenly there are 2 complete sets and 6 individual volumes from the set, through 8 different sellers, listed on the Bay of E at this moment ... one set with a 'Buy It Now' price of over £43.19 + £7 delivery.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Strange - the book is being offered by Coch-y-bonddu Books, a reputable dealer, and 'Advertised' by Abe Books - not a problem surely. I follow AshbyCuts post above.

A book/rod/reel is worth what YOU want to pay - it is your choice whether to purchase it or not from the seller!

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”