does any body else collect leather bound books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Julian
Salmon

Re: does any body else collect leather bound books

Post by Julian »

Good grief Colonel :drool: - what a collection of leatherbound angling classics. :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Blimey Colonel, some collection there friend, I hope the "lost Pool" received a leather overcoat, it had some journey back home !!

Happy New Year to you and yours :Thumb:
Best Fishes
Mushy

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

A wonderful collection, Colonel. I really like that slip-case for 'Confessions'.
Leatherbound volumes are indeed beautiful and I totally get why people collect them, but they are a luxury way beyond my pocket. Even the cloth ones are a bit of a stretch but that's no bad thing I suppose, it does mean I am very selective about my book-buying.
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

What a great collection you beat mine into cocked hat in my view they are great I save my money and then have spend ever so often I don't smoke and don't go down the pub every night so I treat my self ever so often

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Mazza wrote:What a great collection you beat mine into cocked hat in my view they are great I save my money and then have spend ever so often I don't smoke and don't go down the pub every night so I treat my self ever so often
I've collected them over many seasons, Mazza. Now, in my later years with declining fitness, I find I'm taking more pleasure from them, reliving past days by the water. When I can't get out to wet a line myself, my mind, aided by these beautiful volumes, takes me there. Yatesy is particularly skilful in that regard, as anyone who's read 'The Secret Carp' will testify.

I've just found the link to the images of what I believe to be my bookbinders Magnum Opus, his binding of my collection of the 1st fifty Waterlogs. There's every possibility I've posted this before, in which case I'll be obliged to play the 'it's me age' card and proffer profound apologies to all those whose memory betters mine.....which will be most of you :Brickwall:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

Mushy wrote:Blimey Colonel, some collection there friend, I hope the "lost Pool" received a leather overcoat, it had some journey back home !!

Thanks, Mushy. 'Fraid 'your' volume remains 'Au Naturelle'. I'd already had another 'leathered' to compensate for 'losing' yours, albeit temporarily, thanks to your kindness and generosity in effecting it's return. That act in itself greatly elevates it's value to me in my eyes; thank you, my friend :Hat:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

That's what I'm banking on that when I can't get out as much I get enjoyment from reading my angling libary. By the way your books will be worth a few quid

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Colonelgsc wrote:
Mushy wrote:Blimey Colonel, some collection there friend, I hope the "lost Pool" received a leather overcoat, it had some journey back home !!

Thanks, Mushy. 'Fraid 'your' volume remains 'Au Naturelle'. I'd already had another 'leathered' to compensate for 'losing' yours, albeit temporarily, thanks to your kindness and generosity in effecting it's return. That act in itself greatly elevates it's value to me in my eyes; thank you, my friend :Hat:
It was my pleasure Sir :Hat:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Colonel - that has got to be quite simply one of - actually the - best ever collections of leather bound fishing books I have ever seen. A true delight to see the photographs Sir that you have posted of your book collection. I am in total admiration. Thankyou for sharing that collection.

I regret that my own "Ikea" bookshelf "mish-mash" while providing me pleasure in reading does not warrant any photograph. "Hats Off !"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have a few and but recently sold a few too.

I still have:
Casting at the sun - CY
Wood pool - BB
Fisherman's testament - Bernard Venables
The Carp Godfather - Peter Maskell
Fishing for a year - Jack Hargreaves
A fool and his eel - Mark 'Skeff' Walsingham

The last one is a lovely book.

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”