Angling Problems

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Rod
Grayling

Re: Angling Problems

Post by Rod »

I never met Mr Walker, but as a kid I used to spend hours watching Clarissa, in the aquarium of the London zoo, I was totally fascinated by her, and whenever I see a photo of her, I remember what it was like to see her swimming around, almost as if she was in the wild. In later life I did lots of work in the Kodak factory, but never heard anything about an angling club, shame that, as I was often invited to other companies fishing days out.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi Mark99

You are correct. The 'old' Kodak lake was opposite mine [Savay- I was Hon Sec ] and when Kodak let it go it reverted back to Boyers who owned the mineral rights [gravel].
I fished it early '70s' as my late father was works manager at Kodak and got me permission. Had only one carp [around 27lbs] but, what was so good, were the superb rudd. Indeed the prize for the best rudd caught in 1951 was awarded to Mrs Kirby, my good friend Tony's wife. Somewhere I have the original stocking details of the lake. Whilst I can't find it at the moment somewhere on this site is a copy of the Daily Mirror prize awards with Dick being awarded a prize for his big Arlesey perch, under rudd you will see Mrs Kirby.
I also seem to remember [although at my age I might be mistaken] Kodak also rented a stretch of the River Colne above Swan Road in West Drayton. Sadly polluted early 70's when the Maple Cross sewerage farm overflowed.
John Stent, whilst a manager of Wm Boyers, stocked Harefield with carp, I think, from Rodney Meadow. The water later becoming quite famous. I ceased 'real' carp fishing in 1981 after catching all the carp I wanted after Dick said to me " Mike, how many more do you want to catch?" I've concentrated since then on the rivers looking for a 3lb roach and 8lb chub. Got very close but no cigar yet.

Thank you for your interest

Mike

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Mike,

Thanks very useful info. As a kid growing up in that area in the early 70's, one was very aware if you got a job at Kodak, there was a fishing lake/club. :)

The Maple Cross section of canal threw up some decent specimens during a recent electro-fish survey - worrying lack of small silvers however. IIRC chub to around 7lb found which accords with a chap who lure fishes there for predators who showed me a picture of a chub a fraction under 7lb he caught on a lure. Quite a few carp and some big bream (> 12lb). As someone who travels up that canal a lot (we moor a <traditional of course> narrowboat above Black Jacks Lock on a Colne offshoot) the lack of fisherman is apparent.

I did notice some decent tench come into the (lots of starwort) moorings this spring.

Re pits in that area - the little pit run by Harrow AS (opposite side of canal behind the marina) has a stash of old boats in it sunk by BWB (during the 60/70's) and some of the narrowboat historians are quite excited by them, there was talk about lifting some of them and restoration. That body of water was, I think, known as Harefield Flash.

Return to “Dick Walker”