Making the TFF Aerial

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Watermole+
Chub

Re: Making the TFF Aerial

Post by Watermole+ »

At last..The Line Guard finished!!

..Sorry that this hasn't been posted before but I haven't been able to do any work on this for a while..
Anyway; have finally finished the optional line guard, as per the initial criteria. It was a bit of a long-winded way of doing it but the strongest-and safest way of attaching it was by screwing to the backplate with 4 countersunk machine screws. It would have looked neater attached to the rim but that was asking for trouble.
While the reel was on the bench, I added a couple of modifications, which are definite improvements. The first was that, the line drum was never quite flush with the inside of the backplate. This has now been rectified by removing the spindle and counter boring the inside of the backplate by 0.020" (1/2 millimetre) which has greatly improved the appearance. The second thing was that, I was never too happy about the top of the spine, not being attached to the back, so whilst it was back on the lathe, I drilled & tapped two discreet holes for brass machine screws to go through from the inside. ..Am happy about that now!

I'm sorry that I didn't take any pictures during the build but was not too good; but here's a brief description of how it was put together..

I based the design on some pictures of an Aerial in the 'Traditional Reels' section. I was going to make it from ali. but thought it might be a bit too fragile so decided on phosphor bronze, cut from an old, worn-out engine bearing, bought very cheaply from a scrap merchant! (an excellent source of small pieces of metal, providing you don't mind getting your hands dirty removing it from it's existing location!)
This was put up in the lathe and a small part of it turned to an inside diameter of 3.975". The actual reel diameter is 3.935" (almost 3 15/16") so this gives a running clearance of 0.020". I turned the outside diameter to give a width of 3/16" but in retrospect, I could have got away with 5/32"..never mind.
Before 'parting off' to a thickness of 1/16", I drilled two 'sets' of locating holes, using my drilling attachment, to give perfect the spacing needed, if the guard is to be interchangeable.

The next thing was to make the little brackets, which were from brass strip, hand filed & drilled. Next, I partly-dismantled the reel and put it up in the lathe, to drill and tap the mounting holes. Accuracy was vital, otherwise the screw holes would not line up..

Next, the bronze 'ring' was cut in half, then trimmed, end details being hand filed in. The spacers were turned, drilled through and tapped for the screws. The rollers were made from 3mm diameter, 316 stainless, with turned-down ends, then the whole assembly was put together, positioned on the reel and the screws tightened.
The assembly was then removed as a unit and the little brackets soldered on. The whole thing was then cleaned up & given a polish.
I have positioned it for RH wind but it can be easily changed by removing the little brass blanking-off screws and re-positioning to the alternative setting place.

So..Here is the TFF in it's final form.. The lineguard adds to the weight and may prove to be more trouble than it's worth; but that was the criteria, which has now been met. However, it is easily removeable and does give some protection to the bottom of the reel..

Best wishes & regards to all,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

It really is quite exquisite.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Lovely!

I think the phosphor bronze guard looks just right there, it adds to the whole composite build of the reel and highlights the colours and finishes of all the other materials.

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Stunning. You truly are a craftsman, sir :hat:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Those are the type of reels that appear on exclusive websites for the rich and very rich. One off creations that you wished you owned. Top stuff :hat:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Words fail me.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Simply stunning!
How long is the waiting list?
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

id love one if i could aford it

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

Stunning work and thank you for sharing with us all
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Amazing job!

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”