Making the TFF Aerial

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
The VFC
Brown Trout

Re: Making the TFF Aerial

Post by The VFC »

Baeutiful stuff WM+ - like a good book I have really enjoyed this thread, and seeing the finished work gives me both a great deal of pleasure but also a slight melancholia knowing there will be no more "in production" posts to it. Don't forget to record the reel's first capture!

ATB
Jim

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

One of the most informative and wonderful threads I have ever seen.

The finished article is exceptional - nice one wm+
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Sublime wm+ :hat:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well, I'm sort of sad it's all over now.....I'd looked forward to the week-end updates so much........

But seeing the whole thing finally assembled is just amazing.

I've never looked at a bit of kit before and just wanted to hold it, to own it and to fish with it quite so much.

I've looked at a lot of centrepins over the years and some have been truly, truly stunning, but this reel takes it to another level.

It's quite simply exquisite!

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

What a lovely piece of engineering, you have a skill that I will assume that most of us are in envy of. I will go as far as saying that this reel looks miles in front of any other new built reel on offer.
Last edited by Chevin on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Thank you so much for blessing this forum with your thread WM+, such wonderful work, words really fail me sir!!! :hat: :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Sorry for the late response, but I had to go and get my hat so I could doff it :hat:
A fascinating thread and a beautiful end result

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

A truly astounding piece of engineering a credit to your engineering skill and application
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

James
Rudd

Post by James »

I bet you were fantastic with the Meccano when you were a kid.
A fabulous incite in how to make a modern coxen aerial. Superb!!!!
Looking forward to your Perfection roach. if you need any materials for your rod or any information please give me a pm

Andrew J Davis

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Dear All,

I would like to say through this Forum and the Committee, an enormously huge "THANK YOU!" to EVERYONE, for all your most kind words and comments..I truly didn't expect that kind of reaction!
You make me almost feel a bit guilty now, for having finished the project.. ..but not quite..I haven't made the optional lineguard yet, so there is still one-or two pics. to come, but will need a week or so as I need to reorganise both self-and workbench..

It was a lot of fun, making the reel, but admittedly, it wasn't always easy and things didn't always go according to plan. However, I learnt quite a bit along the way and the result was worth the effort, striving for optimum accuracy paying dividends. It handles and test-casts quite well and I will be sure to post some pics. of the first capture..when I get the chance to go! (I would love it to be a 3/4lb Roach or Rudd (surely the prettiest of fish, next to moorland brownies?)

After that..? Well, I'm in the midst of the new Roach rod, as you know, so maybe we could do something with that, topic-wise? Unfortunately, the most interesting work, splitting, cooking, planing & glueing has already been done and we're up to the stage where we need to make the joint ferrules..

'James' (Andrew), our acknowledged expert on this rod, has been very kind and offered his assistance here..and I shall certainly be in touch with him soon to take him up on this, as it would be nice to get some of the details, such as ring spacing etc. right. I have always used old Champagne corks for fly-rods, but perhaps this one ought to have some top grade corks..?

One day, I'm going to have a go at a 3 1/2" 'TFF Special' with a bi-metal & wood back...but not yet!

Once again, Many Thanks to everybody!

Regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”