The Milwards Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Milwards Swimversa

Post by Mark »

It looks lovely Greentura, well done that man. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Thank you Mark, first of many by my own hand i hope, a late Hunter is the next one, not in bad condition but in need of stripping right down, this one will probably be for sale at some point as i have one restored one already :wink:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Nicely done Alan!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Wonderful, if only i were so talented.

Gaz

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Lucky Strike wrote:I love the colour of the red/black jasper you used for your swimversa Haydn, where did you get it?
I've emailed Barney Gallop on ebay but not heard back yet.
I'm cursing myself as I gave a few spools of it away a few months ago to a friend and now I need some!
Regards LS

See here, Lucky:

http://www.thepathbythewater.net/bb_tpb ... ?f=4&t=815

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Early prototype or a marriage of two or more rods?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milwards-swim ... true&rt=nc

Never seen a Swimversa like this before - split cane middle and whole/split cane spliced top joint. The butt looks early as it has 'patent applied for' and silver rod bands, but it didn't go for a lot, so I guess others were as unconvinced as I was.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think it's a trick of the light.....look at his second shot down and the tip section clearly looks to start with built cane, not whole.

However. It's the middle section that's supposed to have the splice, not the tip!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl= ... =115&ty=32

And I've never seen one with so many rings on the tip section, either, which is supposed to have a 'twin taper tip'... a compound change of tapers based around the first ring on the tip section.

The very first rods had a whole cane spliced into the middle, the later ones a built cane spliced in. Only the latter rods had the 'patent applied for', so it can't be an early prototype, which Milwards intimated did exist. And anyway, those words should be written in white , not black, and of course the rings are wrong.

It simply doesn't make sense.........

Perhaps the seller, a member on this forum, will come on and explain?

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I was watching that too, the big butt guide is missing, all the guides are wrong and are the horrible looking red glass looking ones too and are whipped on with red nylon not red and black jasper. The middle section should be whole cane with a spliced in section at the top and the tip section is spliced in to a thicker piece of built cane. all lined guides, The only bit that looks right is the cork handle. i know mines not 100 percent as it came from the factory, namely o used poetic license with the size of the guides between the tip and butt guides, which are correct, and added a few turns over the join where old varnish was still there over the transfer. but that bares little resemblance to any Swimversa that was made by Milwards.

There is another listed and restored and looking very nice, even without the jasper thread :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milwards-Swim ... 6846618%26

mind you, the price is more like it too :shocked:

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

I noticed the black writing and thought it should be white. I also noticed that there is a silver winding check at the top of the handle, which I've never seen on a Swimversa before although I have seen them on other Milwards rods.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

greentura wrote:I was watching that too, the big butt guide is missing, all the guides are wrong and are the horrible looking red glass looking ones too and are whipped on with red nylon not red and black jasper. The middle section should be whole cane with a spliced in section at the top and the tip section is spliced in to a thicker piece of built cane. all lined guides, The only bit that looks right is the cork handle. i know mines not 100 percent as it came from the factory, namely o used poetic license with the size of the guides between the tip and butt guides, which are correct, and added a few turns over the join where old varnish was still there over the transfer. but that bares little resemblance to any Swimversa that was made by Milwards.

There is another listed and restored and looking very nice, even without the jasper thread :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milwards-Swim ... 6846618%26

mind you, the price is more like it too :shocked:
........And restored by Andrew J Davis from this site
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”