Easy Plummets

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Easy Plummets

Post by Wallys-Cast »

DaveM wrote:I use a similar method to Mark, but just wrap some lead wire or lead strip (the stuff for leading windows) around a bit of float rubber, you can have it as heavy or light as you like.

On silty waters, I also have some made up with lead wrapped around a bit of sponge to make it only slightly heavier than neutral so that you can find the depth without sinking too far into the bottom silt and enable you to sit a bait on the silt.
Now there's a thing Dave, how do plummets fair in the lead ban. Is the ban just for weights while actually fishing or does plumbing the depth count as fishing. I have wondered about lead wire wrapped around floats to make them loaded or self cocking, is this banned too.
Wal.

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

well I use large weights as plummets (prefer heavier plummets), but like I say, you can neutralise the weight with sponge etc. As for the lead wire, I think it's lead free solder wire? so should be ok!

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

Wallys-Cast wrote:
DaveM wrote:I use a similar method to Mark, but just wrap some lead wire or lead strip (the stuff for leading windows) around a bit of float rubber, you can have it as heavy or light as you like.

On silty waters, I also have some made up with lead wrapped around a bit of sponge to make it only slightly heavier than neutral so that you can find the depth without sinking too far into the bottom silt and enable you to sit a bait on the silt.
Now there's a thing Dave, how do plummets fair in the lead ban. Is the ban just for weights while actually fishing or does plumbing the depth count as fishing. I have wondered about lead wire wrapped around floats to make them loaded or self cocking, is this banned too.
Wal.
Regarding the lead wire wrapped around floats, I'm not sure, but surely if it's part of the body of the float it's not going to be picked up by a swan etc, which is why lead was banned? although I could be wrong!

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

One of the few modern non traditional bits and bobs I use The Rummet. Which is a plummet already wrapped, in rubber. Good when you don't want flying lead smashing or cracking precious cane.

niceroach

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I find a single LG shot on or close to the hook is good but I like your idea as well WC. :Thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Mark wrote:By god it is rough too. :Hahaha:
I'm not so sure, it looks like a "Banksy" to me :Chuckle:

Some great tips by the way chaps.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Quite a few match anglers make their own plummets for silty bottoms, so that they can present the bait exactly on top of the silt.

It's interesting to look at a badly maintained fish tank and see how particles just heavy enough to sink sit there on the bottom apparently solid only to swirl up at the slightest movement and take ages to sink down again.

I'm not totally convinced the fish can't find food for themselves by taste...they have been doing it for a while now........ :Wink:

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”