Ryobi 233 Spinning reel

The Other Reels forum.
Tony1964

Re: Ryobi 233 Spinning reel

Post by Tony1964 »

Why were some reels made to be so noisy? My father always taught me to be very quiet on the bankside so as not to spook the fish, then proceeded to used a reel with a very loud and annoying ratchet. I always turn mine off if possible.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

tony1964 wrote:Why were some reels made to be so noisy? My father always taught me to be very quiet on the bankside so as not to spook the fish, then proceeded to used a reel with a very loud and annoying ratchet. I always turn mine off if possible.
Very clicky centrepins can be irritating until the sound comes from a fish running off :D . However the sound will not spook fish as sound does not transmit across the air water interface at all well (try putting your head under water when someone is talking to you or music is playing!). Vibration is another thing altogether though and should be avoided at all costs.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sound travels underwater 25 times faster than in air at sea level, and some sounds do travel extraordinarily well , but I think Snape has a good point about the air-water interphase.

Stick your head underwater in a bath and you can barely hear someone talking to you in the same room...get that person to go downstairs and gently tap a water pipe or tap with a teaspoon an it's another matter.

They say...I'd like to see them prove it with empirical evidence...that whales can communicate across thousands of miles of ocean.

The cynics amongst us might argue it is just mimicry .

Now who will volunteer to jump in the lake when next I take the mighty Maxima carp fishing and give us their opinion?

Any takers? :D

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote:Sound travels underwater 25 times faster than in air at sea level, and some sounds do travel extraordinarily well , but I think Snape has a good point about the air-water interphase.

Stick your head underwater in a bath and you can barely hear someone talking to you in the same room...get that person to go downstairs and gently tap a water pipe or tap with a teaspoon an it's another matter.

They say...I'd like to see them prove it with empirical evidence...that whales can communicate across thousands of miles of ocean.

The cynics amongst us might argue it is just mimicry .

Now who will volunteer to jump in the lake when next I take the mighty Maxima carp fishing and give us their opinion?

Any takers? :D
I recall reading somewhere (possibly Jack Hargreaves ) that he had seen someone fire a shotgun out of sight but near to a group of spooky fish but they didn't flinch whereas a heavy footfall had them disappearing into the shadows. Sound travels very well in water as Nobby says but it doesn't cross the gas-liquid divide at all well. If you put your head under the bath water and scrape the side of the bath it will sound really loud. Maybe we should consider this when retrieving ledger weights over gravel. It is probably deafening to the fish!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

I think that you will need to take into account the type of water you are fishing. Still waters, I would assume, would carry a sound far more readily than a running stream or river. The amount of weed and bottom type, gravel or silt would also have a bearing on how sound travels.

I would also assume that the fish, like any other wildlife, would become accustomed to, an therefore not be spooked by common noises and vibration in their locality. Farm machinery, walkers, boat traffic etc on a busy stretch of river would become normal to the fish in those areas so they would be less likely to be sppoked by an angler's heavy foot. I have noticed that carp in commercial pools will happily stay in the margins when anglers walk around.

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Is it not infrasound that is the medium for long distance inter-whale conversations, apparently elephants do it too and so too (I read somewhere once) do submarines.

So far as sound going through the air/water interface is concerned, the bath experiment is proof enough. Yates and James joked about high versus low frequency speech in PfA and therein lies a truth I think. Low fequency human speech could induce enough vibration on the human body to be transmitted to the bankside and thence the water. Two things I've noticed: fish near a railway line and you can feel the rumbling through your feet and also see almost imperceptible ripples on the water. I will grant you that this is pretty heavy vibration at source and not a basso profundo human voice but it proves something about the transmissibility of vibrations especially through boggy ground. The second thing was when I fished the river which had ultra thin cat ice in the margins of a dead static and totally wind free eddy. I discovered that if I spoke (to myself absurdly but I'm really not a fruitcake), I could just make out tiny ripples emanating from the outer fringes of the ice. I avoided any foot movement so it was definitely my voice and that was proved when I raised the volume and got bigger ripples.

And here's a funny thing you can try when the weather is hot and steamy, no one is around and there's a cloud of midges fairly close. Hum - yes make a humming noise - starting with low frequency and then smoothly go up to higher frequencies. You will hit a note whereby the midges, as a single entity, will suddenly fly sideways for a foot. Stop huming and they return to position one. I discovered this when by chance I noticed such an event happen when Concorde flew overhead (approx 11.00am daily around Staines/Windsor) - Doppler effect and all that.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Fascinating, Weyfarer.

You things you get up to when it goes quiet, now that you have stopped smoking!

:wink:

As a child I had a battery operated gramophone. It made sound simply because the needle transmitted the vibrations it picked up from the recordto a stretched sheet of polythene in the round head above the needle. Perhaps your thin ice was doing thesame thing?

I now know, that regardless of the approch of men in white coats I am going to have to try and make midges fly sideways next Summer.

Write to me if they take me away, won't you chaps?

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Nobby wrote:I now know, that regardless of the approch of men in white coats I am going to have to try and make midges fly sideways next Summer.
Me too. :chuckle:

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Nobby wrote: As a child I had a battery operated gramophone. It made sound simply because the needle transmitted the vibrations it picked up from the recordto a stretched sheet of polythene in the round head above the needle.
Crikey, I think I had one of those! Was it made from bright red plastic?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It was indeed, and the records to go with it were mostly bright orange. The only one I recall now was Woody Woodpecker....it must have driven my parents mad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vre6O5sz ... ure=fvwrel

Return to “Other Reels”