The River Medway

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
MrChubby

Re: The River Medway

Post by MrChubby »

When I lived over that way I used to regularly fish the Eden, a Medway tributary, at Edenbridge. I don't know about free stretches but Gabriel's Fishery have a mile or so on an £8 day ticket which is not too far from the M25 so should be a reasonable journey from South London. I still make the trip there from East Kent now and again, for the Chub which run to over five pound. Check their website if you go on a Saturday since its often closed for private functions. Beautiful little river and not too heavily fished since most punters seem to go there for the adjacent Carp lakes. Watch the Environment Agency website for river levels though as it can be very fast flowing after a lot of heavy rain.

Sion
Bleak

Post by Sion »

King Of The Ghetto wrote:Can anyone recommend me a quiet/scenic stretch near to South London and on a day ticket? Many thanks.
There is a beautiful stretch of the Medway, near Maidstone that I fished on a day ticket a few times with my son (on our last visit he caught an eel).

It is rather remote and therefore very quiet and tranquil.

In the interest of keeping it that way, I will send you a PM with further details.

Good luck!!

Sion

King Of The Ghetto
Minnow

Post by King Of The Ghetto »

you both have given me some great choices there and all perfectly reachable from where I am. Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Fishing the upper Medway today......High, with some colour.....but you just never know.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Good luck Rob.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

I went for a recce in the RTWAS area today.

Their website is not very informative about how to access their waters, I was expecting a small streamy river with feeders, but I think I found
the Ham at Hartsfield,
the Grom at Groombridge
and the Medway at Fordcombe

Must say RESPECT to the night time barbel bashers who fish downstream of the Fordcombe road bridge - it reminded me of those photographs you see of natives scaling cliffs in search of the birds nests that are used to make birdsnest soup (or was that just a nightmare). I have never seen such high banks - must have been 20 feet! The far bank actually had a platform suspended halfway down the cliff face (presumably for softies).

There was plenty of chubby-looking water but none of the stretches I found looked terribly accessible - do they use drop nets rather than conventional landing nets?
Last edited by Deaf Cat on Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Drop nets and hand lines DC! :Chuckle:
Seriously though, the upper Medway does have access issues for sure. However, you'll find the swims down stream along the Penshurst Angling Society waters a little more accessible and the barbel and chub grow just a big with less crowded fishing, Kev and I are among the youngsters at 51 in a small club of around 230 members! Five miles of the Medway, a mile and a half of the river Eden, a half mile stretch of an ancient drainage channel and 3 lakes for around £50 a season with safe secure parking on the estate in beautiful countryside of the high Weald......the feel about the fishing, and of the Society makes it very special indeed. If you'd like any more info, feel free to pm me.....

" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Other Rivers”