J W Young Miniature Reels.... why?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Wandler

Re: J W Young Miniature Reels.... why?

Post by Wandler »

Interesting posts here! The micro-fishing scene is really fascinating.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thanks for that Mark. So Swift Engineering was in the hands of the Baylis family? There is a rare Allcocks reel made by them that is not in any catalogues or Allcocks Guides and they are also reputed to have built a lot of the side check lever reels post-war, possibly with pre-war parts stored during the conflict.

Of course you built them better than the Masterline boys!

I_am_mark_evans

Post by I_am_mark_evans »

Yeah, Swift Engineering was Jim young & Roger Bayliss.

Youngs built most of Allcocks reels for them and made others after that, but all were branded under different names. I think it was the Rapidex when they started to push the Youngs name out there.

I've found out that after Masterline took over Jim was still making the parts from his small unit called 'Concept engineering' but has since fully retired and Garry bought some stuff of him, so i don't know who Masterline gets their parts machined by now.

Hahaha, i'm sure they don't go the lengths we did while putting a reel together to get it as good as it could be. I remember one time sitting in the quiet office with a batch of reels to even make sure they ran quietly! Not to mention the hours spent on the lathe polishing purist spindles down to match the bearings for each reel so the spool was a tight but smooth fit.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Thanks for the info Mark, much appreciated.

I_am_mark_evans

It's just cause naturally i think we were better than Masterline. But if i worked for Masterline then i may say different? haha

Yeah they used to be printed then the ink oven baked to dry. I haven't seen a Masterline built reel so i don't know what they are like, but you don't get the wooden box anymore? (yet the price is still the same?). I think the engraving sounds nice, i guess more expensive than printed, but then not supply a wooden box offsets that i guess?.

I wish i still worked for them as i always wanted a Ray Walton Rolling pin (i loved the size of that reel, it was perfect) and i'm sure i could have gotten a nice discount! haha

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

Hi Mark ..really interesting stuff what you have been saying... :Hat:

not long off the phone talking to Mr Mills regarding a repair on a purist 2048...s/r 192...Really really helpful and interesting chap...should be able to use next week ............... :wave: ........

also Garry was telling me about a nice little urban oasis nr Redditch,called Beely mill...[spelt wrong for sure]..anyway this is the only midlands lake i have ever fished.....[small world]....

I_am_mark_evans

Yeah if you ever need a reel repair, Garry is your man!

Never fished there, will have to look it up =)

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

Hi Mark

Would the 1500 series be before, during or after your time with the company?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The J W Youngs Millennial collection of miniature reels are very well made despite their small size and do display nicely but most people get a shock at how small they really are. I know I did, I imagined them being half the size of a "real" reel or around 2 inch dia. The micropin is just over 1" diameter.

Below are a few photos of my set, No 102 of 200. It has been suggested only around 150 sets were actually sold so it would be interesting to hear what set numbers are out there.

Regards
Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Post updated with original photos.

The J W Youngs Millennial collection of miniature reels are very well made despite their small size and do display nicely but most people get a shock at how small they really are. I know I did, I imagined them being half the size of a "real" reel or around 2 inch dia. The micropin is just over 1" diameter.

Below are a few photos of my set, No 102 of 200. It has been suggested only around 150 sets were actually sold so it would be interesting to hear what set numbers are out there.

Are there any other sets in TFF hands.

Regards
Wal.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”