Book finds

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
DaceAce
Eel

Re: Book finds

Post by DaceAce »

I was spawny; we'd just gone to West Bay for the usual day out and the car boot sale was opposite the car park. I could see some fishing rods in the distance (the usual worthless junk) and went for a look and spotted the books. I didn't have much cash so bought 4 books before finding my wife again and getting more cash off of her to buy some more. I guess the guy had no idea of true worth.

Muskieman
Bleak

Post by Muskieman »

Good finds DaceAce, I really must come shopping with you sometime !!

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

that's it I've decided to move near you lot :Sarcasm:
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Hoppy-Doffton
Perch

Post by Hoppy-Doffton »

Several years ago now but Wood Pool for £1 at a car boot sale and The Whopper for £15 from a bookshop in Hay on Wye both first editions.
To enjoy our sport as it should be enjoyed, our surroundings must be beautiful, for your true angler enjoys nature as much as he enjoys fishing. "BB"

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Well I have had a bit of luck on the book front.... My good lady went to the annual Malvern Arab Horse Society Show... she saw a bookseller there and found a bunch of 6 W.E. Johns books (Biggles/Worrals/Gimlet) and bought the lot for £18... When she got them home it turned out that 5 of the 6 she bought are first editions....

Happy Daze :Cool: :Cool: :Cool: :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

Hoppy-Doffton wrote:Several years ago now but Wood Pool for £1 at a car boot sale and The Whopper for £15 from a bookshop in Hay on Wye both first editions.
now you could get serious money for those two I never seem to find anything when there is a book they want the going price

Des Norris

Post by Des Norris »

Hi all,
Picked up a first edition of the whopper at a library sale for 50p and a first edition of rough river and small stream fishing at a jumble sale for 20p, both ex library copies, but they still seem to go for a reasonable price.

Des Norris,

Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

There used to be a bookshop in Guildford that sold remaindered books. I picked up The first Chub Study Group book, The Deepening Pool and the Book of the Perch for a fiver each. Wish I had bought more than one copy!

Stumbled upon Jeremy Wade's website a few years ago and he was advertising Somewhere Down the Crazy River at cover price. He told me he had the last few copies and one now sits on my bookshelf.

More recently bought a good condition 1st edition of John Wilson's 'A Specimen Fisher's Year' on ebay for £24.00.

Since I have been seriously collecting I have found that 'bargains' are as rare as hen's teeth but I always live in hope.

Steve

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Des Norris wrote:Hi all,
Picked up a first edition of the whopper at a library sale for 50p and a first edition of rough river and small stream fishing at a jumble sale for 20p, both ex library copies, but they still seem to go for a reasonable price.

Des Norris,
I've heard, and I may be wrong, that the first edition of The Whopper only ran to about 500 copies of which close on 450 went to libraries so the chance of a non ex-library one is very rare.

Des Norris

Post by Des Norris »

I did wonder why every copy I have ever seen of the whopper seems to be ex library, the dealers seem to want silly money for it though.

Des,

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”