Milward's Featherlite 10ft 6in

The Milwards Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Milward's Featherlite 10ft 6in

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby, Sir ....

Mrs. AC has taped a list to the back of the front door at my eye height so I can't fail to see it whenever I leave the house ...

"CHECK ...
Front door key
Wallet
Mobile phone
Walking Stick
Hat
FLIES !!!"

Welcome to the club, my friend.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

AshbyCut wrote:Nobby, Sir ....

Mrs. AC has taped a list to the back of the front door at my eye height so I can't fail to see it whenever I leave the house ...

"CHECK ...
Front door key
Wallet
Mobile phone
Walking Stick
Hat
FLIES !!!"

Welcome to the club, my friend.
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
( I have to admit I double-check I've got all the essentials before leaving the house)
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The rod arrived this morning, and at the price I paid I'm a very happy boy.

Oddly the guides on the tip and butt sections are fine but all three on the centre section are badly corroded, so to make it fishable over the coming summer I'll simply replace these. The cork is ok on the handle, and the ferrules are tight.

The "Twin Tip" transfer is 99% missing with only a small part of the outline left, which is a shame ... but hey ho.

I weighed it, and it comes in at 8.8oz (255 gms) ... so it's hardly going to make my arm ache ! :Sun:

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Send it back! The catalogue says it should only weigh 8 ounces

:Hahaha:

Does it have black chrome rings on it...If so I have some.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:Send it back! The catalogue says it should only weigh 8 ounces :Hahaha:
I think the extra half ounce is the rust on the guides, Sir !!! :Wink:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

AshbyCut wrote:I slipped a bid in at the starting price of £24.99 last night, and woke up this morning to find I was the only bidder. Not everyone's choice of rod, I know, as they were apparently sold with Milward's advice not to catch anything big on them, but at that price (even if it needs new guides) it will go nicely with my smaller 'Intrepids' for stillwater roaching and the like. More pictures when it arrives.
Brilliant advice from the manufacturer 'not to catch anything big' - I reckon I could cope with that requirement. I have just had my Alcocks Viking restored and the advice I received was similar - but what a lovely canal roach rod and many congratulations. I am sure you will enjoy it.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

PershoreHarrier wrote:
AshbyCut wrote:I slipped a bid in at the starting price of £24.99 last night, and woke up this morning to find I was the only bidder. Not everyone's choice of rod, I know, as they were apparently sold with Milward's advice not to catch anything big on them, but at that price (even if it needs new guides) it will go nicely with my smaller 'Intrepids' for stillwater roaching and the like. More pictures when it arrives.
Brilliant advice from the manufacturer 'not to catch anything big' - I reckon I could cope with that requirement. I have just had my Alcocks Viking restored and the advice I received was similar - but what a lovely canal roach rod and many congratulations. I am sure you will enjoy it.
I have a similar problem with my Allcocks Holdwell, finding waters where I can use it is tricky
Last edited by MGs on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Funnilly enough I've seen Vikings and Holdwell's ( I presume that's what you meant AC? ) described as 'barbel rods' in the last year........

What the book actually says is: "Note.- The "Matchmaster" and "Featherlite" above are designed FOR CONTEST FISHING IN THE U.K. AND MUST NOT BE USED FOR ANY FORM OF HEAVY FISHING."

Your rod cost £6 5s. 0d. in 1956, AC

A whole 10/- more than a Floatcraft, presumably because of the twin tapered tip. That rod was made of female tonkin cane, so Spanish reed wasn't any cheaper.

I think light in the hand roach rods like these will be the next Big Thing.....probably because I've sold all mine :Cry:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:What the book actually says is: "Note.- The "Matchmaster" and "Featherlite" above are designed FOR CONTEST FISHING IN THE U.K. AND MUST NOT BE USED FOR ANY FORM OF HEAVY FISHING."
Your rod cost £6 5s. 0d. in 1956, AC
A whole 10/- more than a Floatcraft, presumably because of the twin tapered tip. That rod was made of female tonkin cane, so Spanish reed wasn't any cheaper.
Invaluable information as usual Nobby, Sir. Many thanks.

H & H 617-HC guides for the centre section now ordered from Chapman's.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah...it didn't have black ones on it then? Good, because H&H re-chromed their stock of black when the new chap took over....I have just one set left.

Milwards used black on their blue whipped and red whipped bottom rods for a while, but I'm told the chrome could be a bit soft and get line cuts...probably not an issue on a reed match rod, though.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”