what about the craftversa

The Milwards Rods forum.
Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: what about the craftversa

Post by Bumble »

No problem Nobby thank you for your interest.
Bumble

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, I think they're almost perfect rods.....and I haven't even fished with one :laugh:

I'm glad you were able to match the whipping......that colour can be a bit of a swine and so often changes when varnished anyway.

I suspect some of the interest in the rod is because Bernard Venables is often seen fishing with one. That's one other I know of; still in the posession of his family, then I know an angler and collector who has one....coincidentally it's been autographed by Bernard. There was the duff one on eBay and then there's the one Bumble's builder used as a template...unless that was that duff one...and now there's yours, Dave!

The only rarer rod I know of, somewhat similar in design, bar the reverse taper butt, is the Aspindale 2-piece hollow-built match rods, and I recall you had one of those too last month, Dave.....I don't know how you do it!

After all this time I have at last got one of the Aspindales, the 894B 11'6" model and it's lovely. But that reverse taper butt on the Craftversa is so elegant to look at and it actually works....I have fished with a Swimversa and was slightly surprised at how much further I could cast with it....though it might just be that trying it out with a proper 'punch cast' as specified by Milwards just made me concentrate on what I was doing a little more attentively?

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

No Nobby, you weren't over concentrating, i noticed it with mine too. i was able to flick out a 2BB (2BB+2no.4+2no.8 in reality) denton antenne much further than with any other 12' cane rod i have tried, a superb rod but i still want a Craftversa :Wink: probably end up going the Bumble route and getting one made though, but stranger things have happened

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

You lucky buggers with the Craftversas... how does it compare to a Swimversa? I've always imagined it as being a much more through actioned, slightly beefier Avon type rod, as opposed to the Swimversa's rather tippy - a bit too tippy, for my liking - and faster action.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Just found out my pal Adrian has a Craftversa......and he didn't even know it........

swine!

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Haydn have had the great privilege to handle 3 Craftversa obviously my new build by Andrew an original and the Barder copy the first 2 could be described as Avon type the Barder is completely different. I read somewhere he changed the taper but not sure but the rod is different much stiffer.
When you first waggle mine you thing all purpose rod but it has so much power in the butt but is so sensitive I can hold it all day touch ledgering from Perch to Barbel, best 9-7 , this year.
I have a Swimversa but as you say it's much more tippy and I don't use it that much, my problem not the rod, it just doesn't suit my style. My personal view is I prefer the Octofloat deluxe to the Swimversa but again it's a personal thing.
I know I am biased but if anyone is holding out for an original Craftversa good luck to you I have seen 5 In 10 years and 4 were rubbish why waste time when you could be fishing with the most sublime cane rod ever produced just call Andrew.
If you want to have a waggle with mine in the summer let me know and I will fix something up.
Bumble

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

4 were rubbish.....really? what was wrong...poor storage, poor build???

I'm a bit shocked, but then I've only ever waggled the one and wanted it so badly!

if only I could afford a new build.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Nobby all had been badly stored and in general just not looked after the owners had all realised they had something very special and were still asking very silly money for them.
I don't think anything was wrong with the build quality may be the varnish could have been better thats all.
Bumble

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Righto. It happens.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The varnish was also terrible on my Swimversa, it would scrap off with my finger nail, made the stripping back easy though :Wink: Does any one know how many Craftversas were made, with the difficulty I had finding a good roach perfection, and they were made for over 40 years, I'm guessing it's going to be 20 times harder as they were only made for two years :Beg:

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”