Fly Tying Book Recommendations!

General fly fishing chat area.
Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Re: Fly Tying Book Recommendations!

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Hello, I think the most complete book on fly tying techniques is Leeson/Schollmeyers benchside refrence:
There are no patterns in this book! But every technique you can imagine is described in detail.
For patterns/recipes I like this one:
Enjoy! Bobby

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

The thing about mcphail is the calmness like iasgair says.No matter the amount of material he adds to a fly he always manages to do it yet still leaves enough room to finish the head.He comes from the same town as me so I might be biased when I say the guy is a genius with fur and feather.
Utube "Davie mcphail Clyde style flies" he ties a few of the great patterns including the humble sawyers killer bug.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

It's that sense of proportion along with great feel for materials selection and thread tension that seperates great fly dressers from the rest. It's an art yes, but it can be learned over time :Hat:

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Both Jim Schollmeyer and Ted Leeson are great fly dressers as is another angler fly tier Dave Hughes also of Oregon, they are also excellent anglers. I have many happy memories of fishing with Jim and Dave on many occasions on the Deschutes and Umpqua river among others. Dave Hughes book Trout Flies The Tiers Reference. Stackpole Books which I can highly recommend.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers all for your input. I think I'm progressing now quite nicely, although some aspects like tying off are tricky as I can't get to grips at all with the tying off tool, mainly because I'm a left handed tyer and all the books show and describe tying from a right handed perspective, which just bamboozles me, so I tie off by hand in a cack handed fashion. Regardless, it's great fun! Currently I'm getting to grips with Montana nymphs!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Santiago wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:55 am Cheers all for your input. I think I'm progressing now quite nicely, although some aspects like tying off are tricky as I can't get to grips at all with the tying off tool, mainly because I'm a left handed tyer and all the books show and describe tying from a right handed perspective, which just bamboozles me, so I tie off by hand in a cack handed fashion. Regardless, it's great fun! Currently I'm getting to grips with Montana nymphs!
Two half hitches and a dab of super glue does just as well. Dick Walker tied off this way and he knew a bit.

By the way medlar press do a nice little book by Donald Downs Baird called the Fly Tyers Handbook.

Don't quote me on the title as it at home and Fatty is in Croatia but remember it as a nice little book and for six quid you can't go too wrong.

All hand written with nice drawings. Hope this helps Santiago.

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Moley.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “General Fly Chat”