Waiting Times

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Greentura
Crucian Carp

Re: Waiting Times

Post by Greentura »

My mk4 Avon tip was in stock so only took a week but i think i was told 12 weeks for a new built FJT complete, I didn't buy it as it was when i found the original i have. still kicking myself that I didn't buy the perfection avon blank they had on 'special' back then

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

4 years!!! :shocked:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Maybe some gentle reminders from the start would have helped, my replacement top for a Mark IV from Chapmans took a few weeks.
The Chapmans are two lovely guys that get distracted, a polite reminder would have cut your waiting down. This is more the case than a poor and slow service.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

scottydog wrote:Last spoke to them a few months ago & they said the tips were made but ferrules need to go on & the butt was recorked! New cane rods overpriced, old ones sometimes of variable/questionabel quality, cane rod makers working at pace of glacial drift. It's enough to make one revert to carbon fibre!
I would have been in touch after six months.

I'm not sure what basis you feel new built cane rods are over priced when you consider the time they take to create. And of course just like anything else of significant vintage there will be some good examples and some poor examples and most somewhere in the middle. Part of the attraction to me of using vintage tackle is it's all individual and the fun is in trying to secure good examples. I've bought a few duff rods and moved them on but generally, over a period of many years, I've been able to buy very good new built but s/h and vintage cane rods for very reasonable amounts of money.

If you want to be able to buy cane rods off the shelf without waiting – there are dealers who have 'stock'.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

ScottyDog

Post by ScottyDog »

Just emailed Chapmans, asked for update on current status of order.
When I said modern new build cane rods are overpriced I was refering to the likes of E....d ...d.r charging £1,500+ for coarse rods like MK IV's, and over £2,000 for fly rods. Lots of other rod builders are charging similar prices, it just puts quality cane rods out of reach of mere mortals earning real world wages.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

scottydog wrote:Just emailed Chapmans, asked for update on current status of order.
When I said modern new build cane rods are overpriced I was refering to the likes of E....d ...d.r charging £1,500+ for coarse rods like MK IV's, and over £2,000 for fly rods. Lots of other rod builders are charging similar prices, it just puts quality cane rods out of reach of mere mortals earning real world wages.
I'm sure I agree - but talk about courting controversy, Scottydog!
I find it hard to equate modern cane prices with the cost of cane rods in the 50s and 60s. For instance, my mother bought my dad a nice float road as a wedding present. It had a Spanish reed bottom and a built-cane top. My dad had wanted the rod for ages. It cost my mum the equivalent of an average man's weekly wages - which some relatives thought was an absolute scandal at the time. Now, what's the real average weekly wage now? - £250/£300 - a bit more? And how much are some modern cane rods?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The average salary for a male at present is apparently £30,788.00p ... making a weekly wage £592.07p (see ref below).

I actually ordered a Record Breaker tip from Chapmans off the shelf in July and it arrived win 3 days ... but I bought it "bare" and fitted ferrule and guides myself (see http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... lit=+james).

http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/sala ... ticle.aspx
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Plot36
Roach

Post by Plot36 »

scottydog wrote:Just emailed Chapmans, asked for update on current status of order.
But there are plenty of rod makers making quality rods that don't charge so highly (e.g. Andrew Davies, Tim Harris, Gary Marshall). Tim Harris recently made a superb split cane 6'6" 3wt fly rod for me - cost roughly the same as a new Sage or Hardy carbon rod.

I know which one had the lower profit margin . . . . . and which one (along with the rod WM+ made for me) I hope to to pass on to my grandchildren when I'm dust. As soon as I can rustle up the cash I'll be asking Tim to make me another (I have 4 sons, so I'm thinking there might be a few grandchildren :roll: ).

Anyone want to buy a Sage TXL? :D

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Edward Barder is a business not a charity. I currently earn significantly less than the average income quoted above. I'd love to own a Barder rod. I can't afford one. I also can't afford to drive a Porsche 911 or live in the sort of house I'd really like. In short when has the very best of anything been within the financial reach of Mr (or Miss/Mrs) average?

Barder's order books are full, hence the waiting times but I understand he is not living in luxury. I suspect he earns a little over the average salary quoted above but not enough to put him in the 40 percent tax bracket.

However, this doesn't need to be depressing as there are plenty of very good cane rods that are within our reach. For example, the most I've paid for any cane rod is £250. I love those I have and none will ever be sold.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Scottydog,

Beresford has a point, anything craftsman built is more expensive than the norm, but there is a lkot of choice out there. If you take the average weekly wage as about £572 the Andrew Davies prices arn't to much more. There are some restorers on here who regularly advertise Rods on Ebay which can be reasonable and The Vintage Fishing Tackle Company has rods for very fair prices. I'd love a Barder too but would not like to lose the bits of my anatomy which would be forefit, should i ever even think about ordering one.

Don't be glum there are rods to be had.

Gaz

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”