Milwards Carpmaster

The Milwards Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Milwards Carpmaster

Post by Nobby »

I have seen Milwards rods with just Milwards in the motto furl of the crest....and I suppose that is just what they would use for special orders and the like. It also makes sense that Milwards would make a 'Mark IV' copy ....everybody else did and they sold. They still do, for that matter.

I haven't a clue whether it's genuine or nor, though.

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Nobby wrote:I have seen Milwards rods with just Milwards in the motto furl of the crest....and I suppose that is just what they would use for special orders and the like. It also makes sense that Milwards would make a 'Mark IV' copy ....everybody else did and they sold. They still do, for that matter.

I haven't a clue whether it's genuine or nor, though.
Hi Nobby i think i've got around 26 to 30 post war Milwards rods and they all have the Model name as a decal under the milwards "Ironarm" decal. Only one of my post rods has script written on it and that is a "matchmaster" which also had the decal as well. That's why I'm suspicious of the ebay "carpmaster", only having script but no decal. I suspect a previous owner used it as a carp rod and thus decided to add the script. Also if i squint it looks like it's got "gripmaster" knurled suction ferrules as fitted to their range of spinning rods. But if the rod had been a one special i doubt Milwards would of made copys of the 'MK4" ferrules just for one or two rods when they had perfectly strong ferrules which they used on their spinning rods. Also i would of thought if Milwards did do a 'Mark IV' copy wouldn't they have cashed in on the 'Mark IV' copy phenomenon and published the rods in their catalogues and produced an Avon as well. Actually i've often wondered why Milwards didn't offer a 'Mark IV', as most of the other makers did. As a Milwards collector I'm sure it could of been a very good rod.

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Post by AndyPop »

pondlife wrote:
AshbyCut wrote:
pondlife wrote:Now i have i my collection a Milwards "spinmaster".
I am currently restoring a Milward's "Spincraft Major" which came to me with only one guide on the butt section, but I am adding another, as well as making the tip section with 6 guides as well as the original tip guide. I thnk it will be perfect for margins. :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... 223&t=3144
I was in my garage about 2 hrs go trying to find a 10.5ft Milwards floatcraft which i'm going to send away to be restored. At least i was until i got the the bottom sections jammed together. Anyway i digress, when i was rooting around in the garage trying to find the floatcraft in amongst about 70 other rods i came across A "Spincraft Major" i forgot i even had. It's nice rod , it would make a perfect margin rod for carp. Mine, like yours also needs restoring. I'm sure i will get around to it one day.

Well violate me with a bargepole! Having a clearout of the kids car boot boxes in my own garage & what have I stumbled across in apile of around 30 rods the other half doesn't know I have ............ A Floatmaster! It too needs a resto, but I'll never get round to it. If anyone would like to take it off my hands for a swop deal I'll be more than happy to post some pics. :thumb:
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

What sort of things are you looking for in a swap deal Andy
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

RyanBurns

Post by RyanBurns »

pm sent andy

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Whatever the rods provenance ... it sold for £112 + p&p.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”