A little challenge

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

Re: A little challenge

Post by Iasgair »

Thank you all for the very kind words. I ended up giving the flies, about twenty total, to the young lady at work, so when she goes back to the San Juan she can use them. I hope she does well with them.

Some of you had questions, so I'd like to answer them if I can.
Martin James wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:44 am Iasgair sorry In don't know your real name so I apologise. the trouble in the UK there not enough anglers fish size flies down to 24's, I even used a fly tied on size 26 hook, on one stream having been given one to fish with by my guide, I caught fish, when others struggled, the number of anglers who will fish tiny buzzer patterns on rivers is like a dozen, I've tried to get my pupils to fish these patterns but get told "You don't get buzzers in river". 'Utter poppy cock', I try to get them reading Midge Magic and Fishing the Midge, but its a waste of time. I well remember fishing the Yakama river, in Washington State caching a rainbow on a size 22 Rusty Spinner estimated at around 3lbs, the guide had asked several previous clients to try and small patter for this fish, but non would. I reckon many American fly fishers both in salt and fresh water are in advance of the English fly fishers. I have learnt so much from the anglers your side of the pond. At one time I spent a lot of time in winter attending the fly fishing shows for T&T, also fishing with the likes of Randall Kaufmann, Lou Tabory, Trey Combs, Lefty Kreh and many others, in fact it was Lefty who had my wife on the casting pool in ther Denver fly fishing show one year.
Martin, my name is Terryll. You are correct, sir, about buzzers in rivers. Your pupils missed out on a good opportunity to catch fish. Sadly, Denver closed the building that held our annual fly fishing shows, so as for right now, I don't know if Denver will ever have another show, or if they will move the show somewhere else in Denver. There hasn't been any word on it, so it's still a mystery. I would have loved seeing your wife on the casting pond with Lefty. He will be missed, may he rest in peace.
I don't know if I'd say we are more advanced in fishing over here. I do believe money has very much to do with it with all the places we have that sell outdoor recreational equipment like Bass Pro and Cabela's, and don't forget all the small but wonderful fly shops we have all over the country. Also, I believe the USA has more fishing programs on tv than any other country. I will say this, and this is just my opinion, but we wouldn't have gotten where we are here if it wasn't for the fishermen in the UK. When people from the UK came to this country hundreds of years ago, they brought their knowledge of fishing with them. I think with our water types, freestone streams and rivers, fast running waters with steep grades, we just adapted and learned to adjust to them. But if you peel it like an onion, it's basically all the same. We may have tweaked things a bit to help adjust, but that's all. It's still fishing. Though many here are not caught up in the traditional ways that the UK has embraced for so many years, and I think it's sad. I embrace the old ways and hold the traditions dear to my heart.

Aitch wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:16 am I heard once that hook sizes went down to an incredible size 32... As a match Angler I have seen a size 26 for fishing Joker (midge larvae) but my eyesight being poor I had trouble hooking the stuff... must be fun tying a size 22 fly up... wonder if its possible to go much smaller...?
Yes, you heard correct. There are size 32's, but where to find them, I have no idea. I saw a fishing show a year ago where a young girl, about 12 years old, tied a fly on a 32 hook. It was amazing! She had a fly tied in less than 10 minutes that would take me half an hour if I didn't give up on it. Later in the show, the host caught a beautiful trout about 5 pounds on that fly. I may try size 24's, but I don't think my jaws on my vise will go any smaller, so I will have to get midge jaws for my vise. Hmmm, Fathers Day is coming soon, :Wink:

Nigel Rainton wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:33 am Iasgair,

I have tried very small flies but I had several issues. First, I found the dry fly hackles shielded the gape of the hook and my hook up rate dropped. Second, the hook hold was shallow and fish easily escaped. Third, I had to use tippets of about 1.5lbs breaking strain which was not suited to the bigger trout in the river.

I don't go smaller than size 14 now :-)
I have heard that as well, and you may be right about that. What you can try is smaller hackle or cutting a V into the bottom of the hackle to expose the hook point. Small hooks will surely test your skills after you hook into a fish, but isn't that the reason they call fishing a sport? In my waters, 18 is about as small as one really needs to go, and no larger than a 12.

Liphook wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:51 am Excellent work Iasgair! I love a small parachute dry and you've nailed it there :Hat: Do you use a flip down magnifier?
Ha ha, yes, yes I do. I even use a magnifier on the bigger flies because I can see the details better. I have a white background plate behind my vise, and with the light reflecting off of it, it strains my eyes at times. I found that light blue for a background is heaven sent. So I found some light blue work table mats and brought them home. I will cut one to fit my white plate and see how it does. It may even help enough to where I won't need a magnifier if the lighting is right.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Well, these little beauties are just fantastic! Very well done, Terryll!

Next week I'll go fishing for the first time in 2021. I should try some small flies too ...

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'd be lost without a magnifier and back board - mine is an off white/ivory colour but I'll try light blue on your recommendation Terryll :Hat:

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Liphook wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:03 am I'd be lost without a magnifier and back board - mine is an off white/ivory colour but I'll try light blue on your recommendation Terryll :Hat:
The reason I chose a light blue is because like I said, the light reflecting off my white tying plate behind my hook and the white on the bottom of my tying station. I would watch tying videos and the person would be wearing a white shirt making it a tad difficult to see detail. But it was Davie McPhail who changed all that for me from the beginning. He wears a light blue shirt as his camera background and what a change that made. So now I tie with a blue background. Much easier on the eyes. And even helps with depth perception I think.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Iasgair wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:49 am
Aitch wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:16 am I heard once that hook sizes went down to an incredible size 32... As a match Angler I have seen a size 26 for fishing Joker (midge larvae) but my eyesight being poor I had trouble hooking the stuff... must be fun tying a size 22 fly up... wonder if its possible to go much smaller...?
Yes, you heard correct. There are size 32's, but where to find them, I have no idea. I saw a fishing show a year ago where a young girl, about 12 years old, tied a fly on a 32 hook. It was amazing! She had a fly tied in less than 10 minutes that would take me half an hour if I didn't give up on it. Later in the show, the host caught a beautiful trout about 5 pounds on that fly. I may try size 24's, but I don't think my jaws on my vise will go any smaller, so I will have to get midge jaws for my vise. Hmmm, Fathers Day is coming soon, :Wink:
I don’t know if this is of any use to you Iasgair but I do some bait micro fishing with a Japanese Keiryu pole. The smallest Japanese Tanago fishing hooks I have ever sourced easily came from a nice chap based in New York:

https://www.tenkarabum.com/micro-fishing-hooks.html

I bought some Size 26 from him a few years ago but I’m sure he had smaller. I tend to buy Japanese hooks for my lure fishing as the quality is so good but also because they were the first to do “single trebles” and barbless trebles.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Duckett wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:22 pm
I don’t know if this is of any use to you Iasgair but I do some bait micro fishing with a Japanese Keiryu pole. The smallest Japanese Tanago fishing hooks I have ever sourced easily came from a nice chap based in New York:

I bought some Size 26 from him a few years ago but I’m sure he had smaller. I tend to buy Japanese hooks for my lure fishing as the quality is so good but also because they were the first to do “single trebles” and barbless trebles.

Phil

Phil, thank you very much for the link. This just may be the ticket.

Terryll

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Iasgair wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:55 am
Duckett wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:22 pm

Phil

Phil, thank you very much for the link. This just may be the ticket.

Terryll
It’s a pleasure Terryll.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Plumtart
Ruffe

Post by Plumtart »

Excellent work. I love tying tiny flies, although I tend to stop at #26. If you haven't already found it, can I recommend Semperfli Nano Thread in the #18/0 size. It makes a turn of thread almost imperceptible, but it's very strong. The other great advantage comes from a 5x magnifying ring light. The interesting jolt comes when you go back to tying #14 hooks. You feel as if you're dealing with sea anchors.

You might also try the smallest fine wire CZ nymph hooks. Fulling Mill make them down to #18. The keel action allows slightly higher dressings in the wind.

There are fly fishing members here, but it's mostly a coarse (you'd say trash) fishing group. It's good to see another fluff-chucker here.

Will.
What Great Ones do, the Less will prattle on. Wm. Shakespeare. Twelfth Night.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

:Hat: to you Iasgair, they are incredible.
I struggle on 18's let alone anything that small.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Silfield wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:54 pm :Hat: to you Iasgair, they are incredible.
I struggle on 18's let alone anything that small.
Thank you, Silfield.

The smallest I have ever seen tied was a size 32, and it was done by a teenage girl who undoubtedly had great eye sight. Only one company makes a 32 and I can't remember who it is.

I now have developed cataracts and its getting harder to see when I tie small flies. When I get surgery done I will probably try size 26.

Return to “General Fly Chat”