Abu 501 junk shop find.

The ABU Reels forum.
Wanderer
Arctic Char

Re: Abu 501 junk shop find.

Post by Wanderer »

RoyO wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:03 pm Image
For many years I've been operating my own personal junk shop - saves me leaving the house. This is the "closed face reels department". Note the Abu 507 Mk2 (Mk1) and Abu 507 Mk2 (Mk2) versions. If only any of these reels worked better than halfway decently.
The "Mitchell junk reels department" is also quite well stocked.
Roy
Fascinating stuff.

I'm looking forward to seeing the "Mitchell junk reels department"
:fish:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

The 501 was the preferred English match anglers weapon of choice, despite the later 506M.

Bought my first 501 from Veal's of Bristol, I recall :tea:
niceroach

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think there was a 508.

Polecat501
Dace

Post by Polecat501 »

Homer Simpson wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:46 pm Were there any Abu close faced reels of that era, that were right hand wind?
Yes, the ABU 508. It’s a 507… just with the handle on the other side!

They are a little rare these days, but a buddy of mine has one for sale. Message me and I’ll connect you two up.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Olly wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:39 pm I think there was a 508.
Indeed there was a 508 made in Sweden for the "Portsider" or "Lefty" angler, I have one here on my desk

They dont command money like the 507 does but can be hard to find in this condition, one of hardest things to find is a box for one, very rare

For some reason, unknown to me anyway, there was the reel you see here in the pictures and there was another mid 70's reel where the

decal was put on upside down, genuine reels they were too. Will see if I can find the photo for you :eyebrow:

The 500 series has made a bit of a resurgence in the last years and the collectors have come back looking for them again, still some great finds

out there especially on the tables at Redditch tackle fair this May just gone. :Hat:

Last edited by BeechmereLake on Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Good looking things, aren't they ?
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I new if I dug deep enough I would find some photos I took recently even showing their serial numbers which clearly show it was an Abu thing.

This is the serial number for the upside down decal :Hat:

And this is from my collection in 2013, as I said a rare box indeed to find, there were two different boxes one be the seriously hard to find

Fishes box from 1981. Hope this helps

"BB"

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Wanderer wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:35 am Good looking things, aren't they ?
Hi, yes they are and built very well also, I was fortunate to own both 507 and 508, being ambidextrous enough to use either reel depending what side of the River Windrush I was stood on, when I mention this to some people they look at me like I have three heads but when trotting a float down some of the long straights with the water flowing right to left the 507 was perfect as being right handed with the rod you get a better line pick up striking the rod away from you instead of across your body, with the water flowing left to right using a 507 you then strike across your body and twist the hips, using a 508 and the rod in left hand you get that complete strike and pick up more line, another useless bit of info but it worked for me :Wink:

"BB"

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Wanderer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:20 pm Image

I picked up this Abu 501 from a local junk shop yesterday.
I payed £20 and am quite pleased with it.

Its had use and has had one or two knocks and scrapes, but overall, not in bad condition at all.

I have bought it to use and compare to my 506 and 506m.

I cleaned and re lubed it yesterday and it seems to be running well.

However, I believe that there should be a spring of some sort, underneath the tension knob on the handle.

There isnt on this one.

Does anyone on here know where I might get a spring ?
And are they really necessary ?

All the best.

Neal.
Is this any help to you?
It looks like there should be a small spring under the tension knob, part number 6855.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

BeechmereLake wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:32 am
Olly wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:39 pm I think there was a 508.
Indeed there was a 508 made in Sweden for the "Portsider" or "Lefty" angler, I have one here on my desk

They dont command money like the 507 does but can be hard to find in this condition, one of hardest things to find is a box for one, very rare

For some reason, unknown to me anyway, there was the reel you see here in the pictures and there was another mid 70's reel where the

decal was put on upside down, genuine reels they were too. Will see if I can find the photo for you :eyebrow:

The 500 series has made a bit of a resurgence in the last years and the collectors have come back looking for them again, still some great finds

out there especially on the tables at Redditch tackle fair this May just gone. :Hat:

I'd be very interested to know where you bought or how you made your reel stands please.

Return to “ABU Reels”