New to Fly tying capers stage two!

General fly fishing chat area.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: New to Fly tying capers stage two!

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Consider tying a few more small ones replacing the red tag with a fluorescent green one. I used to tie some small peacock bodied flies with a dark hen hackle and a bright green tag for some colleagues who fished a small moorland lake. That fly was the killer on that particular water and I did well with it on the Wharfe for grayling. It is I suppose one of the many variations on a grannom.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Watch those whip finishes for creeping up on to the eye but other than that I'll have a half dozen in each size please :Sun: :Thumb:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Mr B, are you sure you haven't done this before? They are very good :Hat:
Damsel nymphs in various guises are a good allrounder that are not too challenging to tie and worthy of a place on any fly patch.
If you fancy a challenge try a klinkhammer, another great fly that seems to work in most situations.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Silfield wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:32 pm Mr B, are you sure you haven't done this before? They are very good :Hat:
Damsel nymphs in various guises are a good allrounder that are not too challenging to tie and worthy of a place on any fly patch.
If you fancy a challenge try a klinkhammer, another great fly that seems to work in most situations.
I will defiantly have a go a Damsel nymph.. and...
I was looking at the parachute fly’s today on YouTube Davie Mc Phial.... I will have a go sometime.. I have a Klinkhammer in my fly box.. yes, they are good.
Thanks for you comments
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Mr B wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:26 pm Thanks again all👍
Good advise, can’t beat a bit of constructive criticism.
I’m’ looking forward to tying patterns of fly’s I have had success with over the years and perhaps make a few up of my own... Got one rattling around in my head at the moment... “The Lord Nelson” and a few others!
Had a go at a few Red Tags... ( one I did with hackles on the body to) I only had some thin wool but had a go..it should fluff up, and I might not have used the right type of hackle but the practice is good, and more importantly having fun!
“There is more to fishing than catching fish”
Excellent first try.I see what you mean about the redtag wool being split,but that won’t bother the fish mr B.Try winding the hackle all the way to the eye,ty it in then pull the hackle fibres back and overlap with a couple of turns with thread.This will lie the hackle back from the eye,keeping the eve clear and allow room for a bigger head,This makes them easier to varnish the heads without touching the hackle fibres.
That doesn’t mean your first tries won’t catch fish.The red tag on the right could double up as a stick fly too.

Fly tying can be very addictive.I’m looking forward to seeing more of your flies in the future :Hat:
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Mole-Patrol wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:29 am Consider tying a few more small ones replacing the red tag with a fluorescent green one. I used to tie some small peacock bodied flies with a dark hen hackle and a bright green tag for some colleagues who fished a small moorland lake. That fly was the killer on that particular water and I did well with it on the Wharfe for grayling. It is I suppose one of the many variations on a grannom.
Yes,
I am ordering some smaller hooks... I thought I would “get my eye in” on a bigger hook first.
I also picked up a better vice for a song.. it swivels round to and has a smaller tip.. I got it today and haven’t tried it yet.
I like the sound of that fly... I will try to give it a go...

Been some good advise all round... thanks for all your input.
Not enough hours in the day!!! Fishing rods, fly tying, I don’t know!

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

It's always good to start with a hook size that you feel comfortable with for tying. After you get the hang of the pattern and the proportions, then you can go down in sizes.

Good luck with the parachute flies. Remember, just take your time at it.

Keep going at it, and post some more photos.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Iasgair wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:49 pm It's always good to start with a hook size that you feel comfortable with for tying. After you get the hang of the pattern and the proportions, then you can go down in sizes.

Good luck with the parachute flies. Remember, just take your time at it.

Keep going at it, and post some more photos.
Thanks for the encouragement, always good.
Had a busy week last week, but at the same time a good one... got a couple of new fly boxes, a reel and a nice rod.
Oh, and a new fly tying vice.
I had a go trying to get to grips with dubbing, but finding it tricky..not sure if it is my wax, or the way I am doing it... watching the videos for tips.,,and tied a few fly’s just for the dubbing practice...
Got a few plans for this week coming..
I didn’t post my efforts last week but I suppose I should do... been trying with a Squirrel tail!

Watch this space!

Mr B

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Iasgair wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:11 am Those Red Tags will catch fish. You did a great job on them. The body length is spot on, the red tags are perfect and the eyes look clean, meaning you didn't cover them with varnish. But I would clip the hackle fibers away from the eyes.

They look fantastic and you should be very proud of them. I'm glad to see you getting lots of practice but most of all it seems you're having fun and that's the best part. I'd be happy to fish with those.
I said I would put a couple of photos of my dubbin pactice flys.
Had a busy week so thats it for now but have some smaller hooks and some other bits of sparkle, lead, etc.
Yes, had a struggle getting it twisted on the thread...practice I suppose.. any tips?
I think I might have been soft on it? Might need a harder pinch?

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Dubbing is difficult to master but the best tip is to use less dubbing. Take a pinch, halve it, then halve it again. You will find that if you twist the dubbing material around the silk and wind it on the shank, it will either tighten on the thread as you wind or loosen and fall off. Once you have the direction of twist sorted out the material will stay on the silk. Wax won't help.

Return to “General Fly Chat”