First ever fly

General fly fishing chat area.
Champ
Chub

Re: First ever fly

Post by Champ »

Yes i agree an excellent first attempt.It will certainly catch fish BF :Thumb: .

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Looks really good!!!
I am just starting too... once I have tied my first fly I will post it.

Well done, you wait, your be double chuffed when you catch a fish on itđź‘Ť

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

I sent you a PM Josh.

Nicely done my friend. Much better than my first fly attempt, I assure you of that.

You mentioned Stewart's Black Spider. Watch Oliver Edwards tie that fly on you tube. Davie McPhail also ties it but changes the tying technique a bit.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

[/img]Well I had a go last night.
I thought I would try just a Buzzer to get the feel of handling the fine thread etc.
I’m following some lessons on line. This was lesson one.
Lesson two tomorrow.
Anyway... hear it is in the vice.
I did a few more to get in the groove.
It’s good looking at the in the photograph because I can see all the faults.. well, you experts will see plenty more.
The white one on a gold hook was just an afterthought.
You can see the gold wire showing through the white thread at the bottom.
All good fun.
Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

:Thumb: They will catch.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Good looking buzzers, the shape is good. Try black hooks, Tiemco 103bl lightweight are my favourites. They help disguise the shiny bent thing sticking out of your imitations :-)

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Well done MrB! The buzzer is a very much underused pattern on rivers too. Rivers do of course hold chironomid midges wherever they have silt that will hold bloodworms. Try one in a light brown that when wet darkens to a light chestnut, and a light green that darkens similarly - they will also catch fish as a general freeswimming nymph/ emerger on the induced take. GISS - General Impression, Size and Shape. For rivers I keep them small in say around size 16. Enjoy :Sun:

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for all your comments, thoroughly enjoyed tying them last night and looking forward to adding a bit of fur and feathers shortly to my next ones...

I’ll look out for the hooks!

Mr B

Return to “General Fly Chat”