NuFloat

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Waterlogged

Re: NuFloat

Post by Waterlogged »

To be quite honest MaggotDrowner i wouldn't use it as a pike rod, it does have a good deal of back bone, as ive already posted ive had double figure carp on it, but they were taken of the top casting a small lump of floating putty and a mixer, i certainly wouldn't entertain casting a dead/live bait with it.

you would be better off picking up a a pike rod or salmon spinner for the job !

better to have two rods rather than just three quarters :wink:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

MaggotDrowner wrote:I've just purchased one of these but I haven't received it yet so I haven't been able to have a play with it yet. Do you think it will be able to handle pike or am I better getting another rod for my pike fishing?
MaggotDrowner if that,s the one that sold recently on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDGAR-SEALAY- ... 7675.l2557
It looks as though both ferrules have come away from the rod and will need a full refurb before it,s usable

Lee.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Ljm183 wrote:It looks as though both ferrules have come away from the rod and will need a full refurb before it,s usable
Yes, that's the one i just won on eBay. If the ferrules do need replacing, how much is that likely to cost? Is it something I can do myself, even if I have no experience working with rods? Would you still class it as good condition if these need replacing?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

MaggotDrowner wrote:Would you still class it as good condition?
Simply put ... no I wouldn't. From the look of the edging around the transfer and the different coloured whippings someones obviously had a go at it before. If I'd bid on it I'd have looked on it as a total strip and rebuild job. At least the three sections look straight and not short, so as the basis of a project I think it would be a starting point if you wanted to get into that area of our hobby.

Replacing the ferrules is an option, but getting the rod straight can be a tad difficult so be prepared for some gentle heat bending after the glue has dried. For glue I use a 2 part epoxy from 'Guides and Blanks' (expensive ... I'm sure others on here will have other suggestions) :-

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product_list/319

Ryan has some ferrule sets available ... check this thread :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... =94&t=4428
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

MaggotDrowner it looks like all the bit,s are there just the male ferrules have parted company with the cane, glue them back on and fish with it you never know it might be OK. "ideal for Roach and Chub" third one down http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... Sealey.asp

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I guess I will have to wait for it to arrive and see how bad it is. I only saw discolouration on the ferrules, I didn't notice that they were loose. I cannot see that now, but I have never had one of these rods before and don't know what I'm at.

I was thrown off by the line "The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended". This made me assume it was good to go.

If this isn't a simple glue back in place job I may just send it back. I don't think I could replace the parts myself. I'd be worried about messing up and damaging the rod more. It looks like I have been bitten by eBay again.

What do you think I should leave as feedback? Clearly it wasn't described accurately.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

If indeed the ferrules have just come away then it really is a simple task of re glueing it back, search on this forum plenty of advice on how to do it, if the damage has been done by a stuck ferrule then you may have more problems as you will need to free the ferrule before you can re glue. Hopefully that will be the extent of the damage and is repairable to a useable rod. If the problems go further than that then I would contact the seller for a full or partial refund.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Best not to leave feedback until the matter has been resolved ... it's a pain trying to change it.

Personally,and at that price, I'd have a gentle go at separating the ferrules (replace the rod, to help them keep their shape, get a couple of those anaconda-type lid openers, wrap the rubber round the metal ONLY, never twist cane), and see if they budge without applying a scary amount of force... if so, re-glue (I have little faith, so use hot-melt glue), re-whip,varnish and fish. If the cane is sound, it's a good buy.
If they seem welded together, return for refund.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

MaggotDrowner wrote: I only saw discolouration on the ferrules, I didn't notice that they were loose. I cannot see that now, but I have never had one of these rods before and don't know what I'm at.
Have a look at the picture you will notice the two ferrules with the male ends connected to the female ends, the top piece of cane you will notice cord around the tip this is where the male ferrule will be glued.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Owning cane does have some draw back one them being ferrules not coming apart and then when they do the come apart not in the right place due to old brittle glue, that just happens. Getting use to some basic repairs is worth doing.

A good trick to pulling ferrules apart is to place the stuck rod behind your legs around knee level, a section of rod in each hand, then place pressure on the hands/arms using the power in your legs to separate the two sections, bingo! Or you end up on the ground with a high chance of sitting on the rod.

At least it will be in two pieces either way!!!

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”