The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Keston
Tench

Re: Edgar Sealey The"Roach" rod

Post by Keston »

Crucian wrote:
Keston wrote:
Crucian wrote:Nice rod you have there.
I have one too, interestingly the tapers are very close to Peter Stone's 'Ledgerstrike' by Chapmans.
I put a longer handle, a better ferrule and a few more rings on mine.
It's a lovely rod...and a lot cheaper than the Ledgerstrike.
Thanks Crucian
The handle could be a bit longer so nice modification . What rings did it have originally ? White tip and butt ? Normal high bell type for the others ? Sorry for all the questions but were there any decorative whippings ?
I think this will make a nice small river rod and as it only cost me £3 this morning Its worth it if I have to buy some rings and materials .
John
Mine had porcelain tip and butt rings with 'High bell's' intermediates. Whipped in plain black with no intermediates. The cork handle was short and of poor quality, as was the ferrule. But...the cane is very good indeed.

Definitely worth a bit of work, I'm sure you'll like it. I use mine regularly, ledgering for chub and it is quite superb.
Excellent thanks for that.
Looking again I see that what I thought were decorative whippings after the ring whippings were infact just remnants of the original ring whips. Having just peeled one of It is definitely black.
All the fittings do look a bit on the low cost end of the market but as you say the cane itself looks very good.
Regards
John

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

One of my favourite rods. It was introduced as a boy's rod or budget price second rod so the finish was economy class although the blank is brilliant. I have one which I upgraded from its original specification. The tip ring on the rod in the photos is original but the other rings were single leg stand off made from a single piece of wire rather like the ends of safety pins. They were whipped in rather coarse black thread, with no intermediates. The blank is a bit powerful for Roach but it's an outstanding Chub rod and good for ledgering.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Swythyn Troutbeck wrote:One of my favourite rods. It was introduced as a boy's rod or budget price second rod so the finish was economy class although the blank is brilliant. I have one which I upgraded from its original specification. The tip ring on the rod in the photos is original but the other rings were single leg stand off made from a single piece of wire rather like the ends of safety pins. They were whipped in rather coarse black thread, with no intermediates. The blank is a bit powerful for Roach but it's an outstanding Chub rod and good for ledgering.

Thanks Troutbeck
Good to know the blanks are well regarded. When I stripped off some old whippings I did think yhey were a little rope like .
It seems rather than trying to source original rings I should have a think about going down the upgrade route for this rebuild .
John

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

I've just had a rummage around and found four of the original rings if they are any use to you. Only need a tickle with wire wool. PM me if you'd like them....gratis of course.

When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Swythyn Troutbeck wrote:I've just had a rummage around and found four of the original rings if they are any use to you. Only need a tickle with wire wool. PM me if you'd like them....gratis of course.

I appreciate your kind offer Troutbeck and I would like to see them.
If I decide not to use them in favour of new rings I will return them to you.
PM sent
Kind regards
John

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Following an informative exchange of messages with Swythyn Troutbeck ,( including seeing photos of the original rings) I think my The Roach will be rebuilt as a custom / upgraded rod . Particularly in the pipeline will be different rings.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

ImageImage
Following and exchange of messages with another member it was suggested I post about the pronounced taper on the tip of The "Roach " rod as its an important feature.
The member was looking to try an identify his unamed split cane rod and wondered if it could be a Sealey The "Roach " rod.
The steep step / taper runs approximately 47cm -52cm from the male ferrule .
I have included a couple days of snaps taken just after buying her.
My rod is now stripped and I'm pondering the rings and fittings to get.
Regards
John

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

John, it reminds me of those twin taper rods from the Millwards Versa range or the Bernard Sealey Festival range with that pronounced stepped taper.
A very nice rod you have there and well worth some extra time and expense to restore and even improve it. Keep us informed about its progress.

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Hi Wal
It does seem like its a very nice bit of cane and worthy of the time and funds .
This leaves me wondering what I should do now.
Having seen the original eyes I opted against a restoration thinking I would never use it .
That leaves me with refurbishing it now as a good user with rings etc I already have . Having a bag made and parking it for a time when I can either do it properly myself or have it built .I can do a good job on a straight refurb but not new , cork , ferrules etc .
I had considered moving it on to someone else who can do it justice but I really like it and the cane would fit nicely with my others for a nice range.
I have an boot sale Allcocks Adonis too and thought of using the very nice tip and butt rings from that but the butt rings seems to be a little heavy duty to fit in with the Roach rod . The Adonis itself was brought as another project but more long term as it has delamination . I had hoped to use the adonis to learn more about cane rods by completely dismanteling it but I now feel that might be a bit drastic .
From what ive read the Adonis would be a bit heavier duty than the roach rod ? Big chub and small barbel/ tench sort of class.
Maybe its just as well to keep the Adonis rings for the adonis .
Oh dear I'm rambling again.
The roach rod will need a bag whether I refurb it now or park it so will do that whilst I ponder.
Regards
John

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear sir, you could get in touch with Paul Duffield ,he does good restoration at sensible prices and very helpful with information.Reelmaker.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”