Just had to show you this net.

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Just had to show you this net.

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Thanks for all your comments lads.

The net was delivered assembled so I don't think the seller realised it came apart, in fact it took me about five minutes of looking at it before I could make out how it separated.

To me it's one of those things that's difficult decide on whether to leave it alone or clean it up but as I intend to use it the decision has been made to lightly clean it and varnish it for protection in use.

The net has length of plastic tubing across the ends and whipped on with string which surely cant be original. I think I'll use leather for this when I fit the new net.

I cant quite decide what timber was used to make the limbs but it may become clearer once the old flaking varnish is cleaned off. It looks quite dark so considering it would have been built with strength and longevity in mind, I would say its probably Greenheart or possibly Teak and they look to be almost certainly original as do the rivets holding them to the brass fitting..

I'll post some more pics as I clean it up.

Wal.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

A super net Wal, as you note, just the job for Roach!

Ted

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Lovely net there Wal,

Is the tenon a straight fit or angled?

Either way a lovely pice of engineering / craftsmanship from an era when it was seen to matter :Hat:

One to cherish and use :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Northern_Nomad wrote:Lovely net there Wal,

Is the tenon a straight fit or angled?

Either way a lovely pice of engineering / craftsmanship from an era when it was seen to matter :Hat:

One to cherish and use :Thumb:
Hi Neil, it's a straight fit, a bit like a housing joint but pulled tightly together by screwing it into the handle. Definitely something to treasure.

I gave it a bit of a clean up today and the limbs are Greenheart, the metalwork is bronze.

Wal.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Cheers Wal :Thumb:

That is lovely....brain cogs turn a few times :Wink:

Really like the photography against the green baize backdrop...just right

I love bronze as a material. My old metalwork teacher used to characterise metals like women ( totally Illegal in today's PC world), Bronze was " the poor mans gold", but to those who learn to appreciate, full of beauty, but full of promise, one to cherish, whereas brass was a Jezhabelle of a metal. Hard in use, oft dissapointing and subject to the tears of the best of men.

:Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Finally finished the varnish and put the net on. I am really pleased with this old net and I will get a lot of pleasure in using it, I'll probably miss a few bites just looking at it. :Hahaha:

Thanks for looking and sorry to drag this up again, just had to show you it ready for action once more.
Wal.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

That's lovely Wal.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Wallys-Cast wrote:Finally finished the varnish and put the net on. I am really pleased with this old net and I will get a lot of pleasure in using it, I'll probably miss a few bites just looking at it. :Hahaha:

Thanks for looking and sorry to drag this up again, just had to show you it ready for action once more.
Wal.

Lovely job Wal,what did you use for the tensioner?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Thanks boys.

Richard I used a length of 1/4" dia rounded leather for the tensioner. It was originally a skipping rope I picked up at a boot sale, I knew it would come in handy one day. certainly not for skipping though :Chuckle:

Wal.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

What a lovely looking thing that net is. Clearly a lot of work has been put into the design and manufacture. Enjoy it.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”