Ghillie anyone ???

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Ghillie anyone ???

Post by AshbyCut »

Paul D wrote:am I correct in thinking they were not invented by the Scottish?
The kilt is believed to originate as the feileadh mhór (philamore) or "big wrap" in the early 16th. century, and the name is derived from the Scots Gaelic 'kilt,' which means 'to tuck up the clothes about the body,' which in turn was probably derived from the Norse word 'kjalta.'

The kilt as we know it today didn't appear until around the 18th century after the ban (after the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie in the 1745 rebellion, the British government banned the wearing of the kilt (and the bagpipes, which were seen as an instrument of war), and is more correctly known as the feileadh beag (philabeg) or "little wrap," the top part (the plaid) being worn over the shoulder and detachable for comfort.

I hope that helps, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Mal, tongue in cheek but if you want to wear your kilt in an appreciative setting not too far away from your neck of the woods, you could try the 'Highland Games' held each year at Corby in Northants, caber tossing etc, lots of Scotch folk came to Corby for the newly emerging iron/steel industry when their own industry went into decline. The lovely Eyebrook Res was constructed in the mid 1930's to provide water for the furnaces, now a cracking trout water (with loads of specimen course fish)
Tight lines Dave

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Have a look underneath.... :holmes: if there's a quarter-pounder under there, he's a MacDonald :Cool:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Bluelabel wrote:Have a look underneath.... :holmes: if there's a quarter-pounder under there, he's a MacDonald :Cool:
At my age, more of a 'pickled gherkin,' Sir !!! :Hahaha:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

:shocked: McMal of Warwickshire
You may take his tackle but you'll never take his freedom!!
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Harry H wrote::shocked: McMal of Warwickshire
You may take his tackle but you'll never take his freedom!!
You'll never take my tackle either, Sir !!!!! Not without a fight, anyway. :Wink:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Excellent. A bit cold on the knees in winter
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Tell me more about the ban on bagpipes and whether there's any chance that it may be reimposed.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Mal :Hat: , a Scots friend of mine bought me one but ive only worn it once in our cottage , I sang Donald where's your trousers as I jigged up and down much to my wife's amusement . :Scared: Kindest regards Woolly McBear :Wink:

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

That does look the part Sir

but Please if wearing that whilst riding the tiddler mobile

for gods sake don't go above two miles an hour :shocked:

regards

bjp :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”