BB's Reel

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Paul D

Re: BB's Reel

Post by Paul D »

Wonderful Len, thanks for posting :Hat:

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello All,

Firstly, here is Dick Walker's account in a letter to Maurice Ingham talking about carp, taken from the first edition of, 'Drop Me A Line', (Pub. MacGibbon & Kee, 1953) P 16:

"I have another reel, blood-brother to the one Michael Traherne ('BB') speaks of in his latest book, Be Quiet and Go a-Angling, which is used when monsters are expected and snags are numerous. It is really an oversized version of Hardy's 'Eureka' bottom reel - 5 3/4in. diameter, 3/4 wide in the drum, with finger-operated brake lever in addition to the optional check and exposed flange. This carries a plaited line with a breaking strain of 18lb. and is used for attempts on Mr. Buckley's record."

Secondly, 'BB's' account from 'Be Quiet.' (Lutterworth Press, 1949) Pp 62-63:

"The reel which I use exclusively for carp fishing was made for me by friend, R.W. (Dick Walker), and is a lovely thing. He made it himself in his own factory at Letchworth. He tells me that when he managed to get the block of duralumin and was turning it on the lathe, the shavings caught fire. He was enveloped in a mass of flames. If he had let the metal cool it would have been ruined, so he kept at his lathe while everyone else was rushing round trying to put out the fire. A reel which had such a fiery birth is surely destined for great things."

Now 'duralumin' swarf is not known to self combust, but magnesium does have that reputation. I can't recall reading, but my memory is undoubtedly 'dodgy' at best these days, Dick Walker saying the reel was turned from magnesium nor, indeed, duralumin, or that it was used for trotting.

'BB' had recently learned that Bernard Venables' Dick Walker-made MkIV rod had recently been sold at auction for the then massive sum of £2000, and asked me if I could furnish details of the auction house, etc. Not one to miss such an opportunity, I replied, "Why not sell to me, and save the commission?" 'BB' said, "If you are willing to pay such a sum for my rod, I'll include my Dick Walker-made reel as well." Having no idea where I'd get the money from, the deal was struck there and then.

Here's a few pictures of the reel taken today:

I did on occasion take the 'BB'/Dick Walker MkIV and reel back to Redmire, and had my picture taken with them together with a Redmire common.

Besties,

Len.

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

oh wow, that is amazing!

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Fantastic, many thanks for sharing these excellent pictures.

Pete

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Image Thanks for the Posting Len.
Best Guess for me is it's designed with line recovery rate in mind for keeping up with incoming carp runs.

My Grantham version has none of the braking system. The drum width is 11/16"
Curiously it has the ratchet pawl made from a soft aluminium material which is not wearing well.

The igniting metal used adds to it's wonderment. The drilled out lightening of the ratchet link seems to point
to an awareness of keeping the weight down.

I have weighed the Grantham at 360 grams with line insitu.
Can you put a number to the 'BB' to perhaps give a clue to the metal used?

That look on 'BB's face seems possibly one of a too late change of mind .
BTW Nice jacket modelled with Style by yourself !

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello Q C,

Not being conversant with new-fangled terms and technology, I'm still working in lbs and ozs! Nevertheless, having weighed 'BB's' reel I make it 0.340kg, which supposedly(!) is 340 grams, no line or anything else included.

In my opinion, your point regarding the pawl lever being drilled for lightness is well observed and the reasoning sound. Also, Dick Walker, did say, one of the reasons for employing such a large diameter reel was to keep in touch with fast moving carp.

Why Barry Grantham would choose to make the ratchet pawl from an aluminium alloy is beyond me and, plainly, Dick Walker! The 'BB' reel pawl is some kind of hardened steel.

Incidentally, to enable Barry Grantham to manufacture his 'BB' reel copies, I made this very reel available for him to measure; with, I might add, no financial or other gain to myself. In fact, to this day I've never heard from him again.

'BB's' expression in that photograph, so well captured by my son, Tony, says it all, doesn't it. It was plain to me, although 'BB' didn't say as much, that parting with his Walker-made MkIV and reel was pretty painful for him. For wasn't he saying goodbye to two old reliable companions who he'd travelled many miles with, and treasured for many years? And what of the waters? And the experiences? And now it was a parting he knew was so, so final, and that now his carp days were undoubtedly and definitely over for good.

When that awful realisation finally comes to me - I'll also be devastated; of that you may be certain.

At least my mind is at rest realising that I paid 'BB' a decent sum for his rod and reel; much, much more than I really could have afforded at the time.

'BB' with the reel on a happier, for him, occasion.

Besties,

Len.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Oh ! I love this place !

Len. It deepens .

I reset the kitchen scales and it reweighs at 12.7oz.

However, I do believe your Kg deduction to be correct. To whit the 'BB' being 20g lighter although so much
greater in diameter only makes for greater speculation........ Cor dont leave in near a naked flame Eh.

My Stalker in hand so as to compere visual diameter.

The information on Mr Grantham online does seem scant or indeed any product of his. Image

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

What an incredible thread; living history there I feel. The reels both look superb. As for the good Mr Grantham, I have tried, and failed ! Does anyone know how to contact him or indeed if he even is contactable now ?

Len Arbery
Silver Bream

Post by Len Arbery »

Hello Q C.,

Didn't think to use the kitchen balance, perhaps because it's located in an area I rarely visit!

Now, however, having ventured in there, those scales confirm the 'BB' reel weighs 340 grams, and, on the 'understandable' reading, equating to 12oz. Therefore, suggesting, as you rightly point out, the material Walker used weighs considerably less than that employed by Grantham. Now, whether or not Dick managed to get hold of magnesium, a very exotic material for around 1949, is, of course, still a matter for conjecture. Remember though, during the 1939-45 war Dick worked on air-borne radar, at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough. Surely such a place at the forefront of aviation technology may have had magnesium supplies?!

Hello All,

Thank you for the so, so kind comments, much appreciated.

This picture should be of sufficient interest to excuse the poor quality of the scan:

Chris Yates is holding two examples of Plowman's expertise. Top is his No 24, The Royal Aerial. Bottom the Plowman No 31. Whilst I have the Gough No 1 (top), which I'd just refurbished, and the 'BB' reel.

And here is the Redmire picture mentioned in a previous post:

Here I am with 'BB's' Walker-made MkIV and reel, together with my own landing net and a Redmire common, (taken circa 1987).

Besties,

Len.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

What a fascinating thread.
Thanks to all who have contributed, I enjoyed every bit of it :Hat:

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”