Paul Cook Landing Net

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Barbulus
Tench

Re: Paul Cook Landing Net

Post by Barbulus »

Wow ! Beautiful net - I do like the idea of a two piece handle. Very nice ! I have a suitable 6 foot piece of bamboo which would suit. It's the lovely brass work to join the two pieces together if I get the hacksaw.........then there's the 3/8 ths brass end piece to think of...then the flaming and drawing.....then the smoothing and whipping.....then there's the varnishing and sanding....then the more varnishing......then there's the spreader block... Then there's the bloody net itself.... Steaming...firming....glueing.....sanding....varnishing....Oh heck.....where's the holiday saving piggy bank ?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Truly inspirational items, very well done Paul and well done to you too Mark for treating yourself to what will almost certainly become a family heirloom. :Hat:

Wal.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i hope you enjoy it when you get it they look very nice indeed

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Personally I think we are blimmin' lucky that craftsman like Paul are still around to facilitate choice for those of us that like to indulge ourselves. The real challenge to this industry is succession so us anglers should do our best to support where we can in order that skilled youngsters see it as a potential opportunity. The pole makers have been lost but their poles remain and in terms of cost today they would be astronomic.
As for Mark spending his Christmas money on a new landing net I say good for you Mark...you have just bagged a bargain as you have bought unsurpassed quality for minimum wage money. How can you value the cost of getting to the point of producing something of this quality? it is beyond value.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

ErrabundusPiscator

Post by ErrabundusPiscator »

I can honestly say that I treasure my Paul Cook items! Like anything well made they are all a delight to look at and admire. Myself an engineer by trade looks deeper than the first glance! Into the time, effort and planning that goes into the items we cherish. The net I own has served me well and could tell a few tales (more often than not how it sits dry on the bank). I will always highly recommend Paul's work and as a true gent he will continue to get my hard earned pennies wherever possible.
PS: Paul, the rod is sublime :o)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well, I received a PM from a Mr. Cook this evening saying that I should have the landing net over the Christmas period all being well. It's a little later than scheduled due to Paul moving house and workshop in the summer but I told him before hand that there was no hurry anyway.

If all goes to plan I hope to Christen the landing net with a nice five pound River Soar chub over the Christmas period, now that would be a very special Christmas and New Year present to myself.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Hearty congratulations on it's impending arrival ... and heartiest wishes of good luck for it's christening. Well done mark, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I look forward to seeing said 5 lb chub laying across and soiling that new mesh to give it the smell all landing nest should have, a smell only a angler could vaguely appreciate.

Craggs-Dale

Post by Craggs-Dale »

Well said Mr Cook. As always your work is faultless and beautiful.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Good luck to you Mark! Those are splendid nets indeed and I hope that you find that it gets a great deal of use.

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”