Reel-making..

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Reel-making..

Post by Beresford »

I'm staggered. It is quite beautiful.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Wow! A marvellous piece of work. Self taught or in your line of work? And how long did it take?
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

George387
Crucian Carp

Post by George387 »

that really is a lovely reel you should be very proud of your achievement, well done sir
Brown Trout maybe Beautiful But Grayling are Gorgeous. "Lets Tackle Cancer" Supporter
The Flee & Float

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Many thanks for all your most generous comments Gentlemen; I will try to answer all your questions..
Firstly, this was something thought about for some time and when the trout season ended last year, I thought we'd give it a try.
I have effected repairs to many reels over the years, both minor and serious, but never completely scratch-built one before. The original intention was to make a 7' 6" small river, dry-fly rod for myself over the close (trout) season, the same as a recently completed commission and this would be something to complement it. Things didn't quite work out that way and I have just started on the rod...!
The reel frame,or cage, and spool are made from aluminium alloy, painted with "PJ1" fast-black, motor-cycle casing spray paint. Three light coats, then put in the fan oven for a couple of hours at 100 deg.
I worked at it on average, about 10 hours a week over the winter, depending on circumstances.
The Myford lathe is a long-obsolete 1954 model I bought years ago in a garage sale for £235. It was in pieces and in a very sorry condition, so needed a lot of TLC, expenditure and time to get it going again. The only other 'power tools' are a 130amp MiG welder, a drill stand, bought in 1968 + a 500w electric drill and a (home made) universal vice. All the lathe accessories are home-designed and made; a bit primitive but functionable. Knowledge is self-taught through trial-and-error..mostly the latter, but Experience teaches, as they say, and it was mostly plugging away and not being satisfied with anything if you know you could have made it better. My working life has mostly been spent in metallurgy and other materials, so I had a good idea of what to use, but still made a great many mistakes along the way.
If I'm ever allowed to retire, one project in mind..which has been on the back-burner for a few years-is to make my own semi-replica 8 or12-spoke 4" Coxon Aerial. It's a bit different but the problem is that I've never actually seen one except in pictures, but it doesn't look over-difficult by comparison.. and bought the laminate material for the drum plates years ago.. .. have made some trial reel backs from different hardwoods..so maybe one day....?

With regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

MrTrout

Post by MrTrout »

You are too modest WM, it's a credit to you.
Make another with a SBS, please.
S.

TonyPrior

Post by TonyPrior »

It's a beautiful reel and a fantastic achievement. The agate line guard alone. What a finish. Did you make the screws too?

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

mrtrout wrote:You are too modest WM, it's a credit to you.
Make another with a SBS, please.
S.

Here you are Steven..

http://www.seatroutforum.com

-->General sea trout fishing advice -->Close season plans and projects.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear Sir, It's good to see others making reels from scratch.I have many various types made from sketches I had drawn up .I am a skilled instrument tool maker and when I had the chance I got on with a new model.With all the machines needed at my disposal there was no stopping me,but now I seem to have lost interest at the age of 67 but I may get back someday who knows .The best of luck to you Sir.Reelmaker.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Simply devine.... :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

thats great reel

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”