Roach- a new British Record?

This forum is for discussing roach.
Old Nell

Re: Roach- a new British Record?

Post by Old Nell »

Looks like a "rub" to me .Roach / chub hybrid. Spoken of in the Chub Study Group book. The picture looks very similar to 1 that was caught in the Cam I believe, although that 1 was just over half the size of yours Phil.
Regards Mark

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

This is just my view I am not sure any longer how important records are particularly when for all the reasons already mentioned in the above thread no one can agree if it's the real McCoy or not. I fished with my very good friend Pershoreharrier early in the year and caught a lovely Crucian but the debate that followed whether it was real or not caused me to lose the will to live.
Records real or not are just a moment in time and should never distract from the pleasure of catching what ever it may be.
Bumble

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I think some may not have seen the subtle of point I was making in my post. The huge roach reported in the Hull are in fact Ide.

The ide were bred in a fish farm which was adjacent to the river where the picture was taken. They escaped and now appear to be established in the river and the nearby Barmston Drain. The EA electro-fished one out of the drain at 7lb 6oz and Hull & District A. A. has just accepted an ide of 5lb 11oz as a club record which was caught on a stretch of the Hull they rent.

I've had a few 3lb+ fish including one on dry fly.

If you look in Dick Walkers "Still Water Angling" 1st edition you will see some other ide reported as roach opposite page 161.

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I'd hazard a guess that quite a few records have been broken and simply not reported, perhaps, the anglers in question decided to keep knowledge of the captures to themselves, and that doesn't take into consideration the Carp anglers who probably just put anything that isn't a Carp back without weighing it.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Like 4 X 3lb+ roach in one day!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I love roach fishing, my favourite species. I have no interest in record fish. I'm just happy to catch nice looking fish. I'd be delighted to catch one half the size previously mentioned. With all of the hybridization and stocking of non native species, I think it is impractical to think in terms of records. Maybe they ought to do away with the record list and just let people fish for the fun of it. :Scared:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

MGs wrote:I love roach fishing, my favourite species. I have no interest in record fish. I'm just happy to catch nice looking fish. I'd be delighted to catch one half the size previously mentioned. With all of the hybridization and stocking of non native species, I think it is impractical to think in terms of records. Maybe they ought to do away with the record list and just let people fish for the fun of it. :Scared:
Hear Hear !!!!! (this ... from a committed Tiddlersnatcher" !!! ;-) )
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

We'll said that man.
Bumble

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Heartening to read so much consensus with my own position on this matter. In 12 years of living here I've never summoned the enthusiasm to fish this elevated butyl lined pond and I doubt I ever will. The 'names' that are appearing locally is like a who's who though and they are travelling from hundreds of miles away in some cases...extraordinary.
Thank you all for your philosophy it is of great comfort as there is a certain pressure living on top of the place and having the local knowledge.
Many of our past heroes would have possibly had a go but then was then and now is now and we cannot be absolute in our thoughts on their position either as such artificial environments did not exist.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Marsh Farm is undated with "specimen hunters" at sometimes of the year - all "names" seeking a British record or personal record to up their charges for guiding; book sales; rod sales; sponsorship; etc; etc.

Same with other waters across the UK including Scottish roach!

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”