I Will Return

This forum is for discussing barbel.
SeanM
Tench

Re: I Will Return

Post by SeanM »

The sory behind my avatar pic is an interesting one. Here is a bigger version:

The barbel was caught on a Chapmans 500 avon on it's first trip after restoration, paired with a Delmatic reel that I'd purchased from Ebay a few days previously. It weighed 10lb 11oz.

A fuller account of the capture can be found on Fishing Magic. Just Google The Accidental Barbel.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I mostly fish for barbel - usually on the upper Warks Avon on a very wild overgrown stretch that does not have a particularly large head of barbel but there are some biggies (poss 15lb+).
I nearly always fish very simply and basically.
8lb line, 2 or 3 SSG then straight through to a size 8 hook with a decent lump of meat attached.
I nearly always touch ledger as it puts you in direct contact and you feel every plink and tug and the full powered yank of a decent barbel take is electrifying.
My first double figure fish came from here at 11lb 6oz. It had a very distinctive tail. Exactly a week later (to the hour!) fishing 500 yds upstream I caught another double at 11lb 7oz but when I looked at the photos I realised it was the same fish. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

Some lovely barbel images thanks and hopefully tomorrow I will be able to add one or two myself as I'm off on an exploratory trip to the Sussex Ouse. Although not well known for barbel there is apparently a healthy population in parts of the river and hopefully I will find them.

I travelled from London to the Royalty stretch of the Hampshire Avon and Throop on the Stour many times in pursuit of barbel in the early to mid 90's but always struggled and then ironically found them much easier to catch close to home at Teddington Lock on the Thames. I also fished the Kennet near Aldermaston without much luck and had some success on the River Colne near Uxbridge.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Lovely pictures and accounts there chaps. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Two splendid Barbel chaps!!! :hat:

Nigel, have you let your hair go "Au Naturel" since your avatar pic was taken?? :laugh:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Nigel, have you let your hair go "Au Naturel" since your avatar pic was taken?? :laugh:
Yes, the avatar pic was taken a long time ago :lol:
I do have a pic somewhere with an early carp when the hair was the same colour and length as the avatar!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

That I've got to see, Prof!!! :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:That I've got to see, Prof!!! :thumb:
Summer 1982 :hide: .
One of my first carp.
Inn by the Sea, Lee on Solent, Hants.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Brilliant!!!! :thumb:

Inn By The Sea?? Is that Alver Valley Lake? Our club has just taken that over!!

http://www.portsmouthdas.co.uk/page.php?3
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Sorry, just found the pool you mean via Google Maps. Wonderif there are still fish there??? I work quite close to there, HMS Collingwood.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Return to “Barbel (Barbus barbus)”