Milwards Floatcraft (and eBay sellers)

The Milwards Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Milwards Floatcraft (and eBay sellers)

Post by Nobby »

Clearly missing the tip of the Avon top section and yet still it sold. I see one fetched £46 yesterday.

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Nobby wrote:It is extraordinary how many rods are sold quoting the wrong length...it's not that hard to measure a few bits of cane!

It's also amazing how many rods are described as in 'good condition' though no photo of all three sections together is offered.

An enquiry as the length of each section is paramount.
Yeah - "good condition for its age" is a good 'un. I think that every morning when I look in the mirror.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I used to, too...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I try to avoid mirrors these days, nasty deceitful things!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

I like mirrors, give me an old heavily scaled mirror any day!!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Here's a Milward's related link that may be of interest: http://www.pechemouche.be/f-dawuk2.htm

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

A word for word lift from Wiki in one place there....and I think they're both wrong. The company made fishing tackle until 1967 at least, and I think that is when Henry Milward died.

Nevertheless a lovely bit of kit there.

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

I've sent a message to the ebay seller to point out the issues with the rod and ask for suggestions, we'll see what the response is. Now I've decided I'm not going to keep it I'm going to be firm about a full refund and the seller paying the return carriage. I don't see why I should be out of pocket for something that is so blatantly mis-described.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

I recently bought an unnamed & relatively cheap cane float rod on e.bay that was advertised at "12'" long & is in fact 14'1" !! [much of my fishing is done before or after work & I need all my tackle to fit in the car boot, out of sight, which this of course doesn't].

You appreciate that many sellers aren't fisherman but you'd think they could use a tape measure!

I hung onto the rod though as I reckon it was worth more than I paid for it & in surprisingly good condition for it's age.

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

I got a quick reply from the seller offering a goodwill refund of £10 or I could return the rod. The seller was adamant that the tip wasn't bent and it does seem to have straightened out a bit over the last few days so it may be temporary rather than a set - it was tightly wrapped up in bubblewrap for several days while on its way to me. Apparently the mix-up over the length (quoted 10ft 6in but is actually 14ft) is because the seller thought you didn't include the length of the handle :shocked:

I've accepted the £10 and kept the rod which means I've paid £37 for it including postage. Avoids the hassle of sending it back and even if I decide to just strip it for parts, I've got a reasonable tip and butt ring, a set of 9 high bells guides that look brand new and a spare 4.5ft split cane top joint out of it which for the money doesn't seem bad.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”