Re: the lucky strike

Post by SeanM »

Thanks Snape - took me ages to get those leaves just right! :chuckle:
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Is that the one with the Gudebrod goldenrod whipping SeanM ? I have managed to get hold of some. Can't wait to get on with it. Cracking pics mate.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Gurn wrote:Is that the one with the Gudebrod goldenrod whipping SeanM ? I have managed to get hold of some. Can't wait to get on with it. Cracking pics mate.
Go careful with it. Not easy to find these days and yellow/gold colours are particularly prone to going transparent, when varnish is applied, if you don't seal it first. On my lucky strike, someone has done this, so it will need rectifying at some stage.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

I know some people love that translucent look to their whippings, especially our american friends it seems. There will be a good dowsing of colour preserver on mine.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Yes it's the one with the Gudebrod Goldenrod whipping Gurn. I used 50-50 thinned Cellire to seal the whippings. One thing I have learnt is to leave the Cellire a good 24 hours to go ff fully. This caught me out once or twice previously as I'm so used to using it on the heads of flies. When it has soaked into whipping thread it takes an age to dry fully.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Thanks for the info fellas, it's the first complete re-furb I've done. I will let you know how it goes. :thumb:

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

The transfer on my Lucky Strike is on the bottom of the blank (ie. the same side a the guides). Can any of you knowledgeable types tell me if this is the original position, as I suspect, or has the butt section been re-rung the opposite way. :?: :o
I'm sure I have seen Allcocks rods with the gold oval facing up, is this the done thing or should I leave it facing down?
Also some sound advice on gently cleaning the label would be appreciated,thanks.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I only found out last year ( from GOS) that Allcocks labels were indeed put on the bottom of the rod!

Up until then I had obviously only seen restored rods.

It is possible to flatten the varnish on top of the transfer to get it clean, just be patient and use the finest grade flour paper you can find. Don't use Emery cloth as it will stain things black.

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

Thanks for that Nobby, it would seem that my rod has not been touched since it was new.
The dilemma I have now is shall I leave it beneath or have it facing upwards.
Last edited by Gurn on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Leave it beneath!! If it has a set you can always get it out after all. I doubt that the majority of rods at the making/whipping stage where really chosen as having an 'up' side or 'down' side, but I like to think that it was whipped that way originally for a reason.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”