'How to Catch Them' Series

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Pyrethrum5
Dace

Re: 'How to Catch Them' Series

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Hi NiceRoach,

Very interesting and opens up a whole new avenue of investigation....

....but the 'originalist' in me thinks I'd be cheating myself? But then again should I really pay significantly more for a battered threadbare original d/w or a pound 25p for a nice shiney new one......Decisions, decisions, decisions.... :Hair out:

Best wishes,

Mark
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I quite like my books to look used. They have a smell about them that's just heavenly. I was a librarian for Durham County Council and the bookstore (store room, not shop) that used to be in the annex building at county hall was like a wonderland. I remember finding an 18th century edition of Compleat Angler; just there. Just on a shelf not in a special case or collection. Also really early shakespeare stuff, but I was less interested in that. No, give me tatty old book over pristine copy any day.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Pyrethrum5 wrote:Hi NiceRoach,

Very interesting and opens up a whole new avenue of investigation....

....but the 'originalist' in me thinks I'd be cheating myself? But then again should I really pay significantly more for a battered threadbare original d/w or a pound 25p for a nice shiney new one......Decisions, decisions, decisions.... :Hair out:

Best wishes,

Mark
It's always another option, because there are loads that have lost their jackets and it's nice that some nostalgist has gone to the bother.

Regards
niceroach

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Pyrethrum5 wrote:Dear Phil,

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to post the list. I appreciate it must have taken some time to do :rock:

On a general note which ones would you say are the rarest/most desirable? Peter Stone's 'Specimen Fish'??

Best wishes,

Mark
Hi Mark,

I'd done the hard work and produced the list sometime ago. I just had to adjust it slightly to post it.

I'm please it is of use. The Pete Stone is indeed the most expensive which is no doubt is why Medlar reproduced it. It was only issued once as was some of the other rare books.

Regards,

Phil

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

This may give an idea of prices http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... prevpage=1

I have just two Carp and Perch

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

I had every one except Cod by Winston hall.All had dust wrappers.They were mixed editions.I sold them all for £200 about 15 years ago when we decided to move to a new house.

It took me quite a few years to get them.Most came from bookshops for under five pounds in those days.Specimen fish cost £25 from a dealer even then!.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

If anyone is interested i have Perch - Kenneth Mansfield, 1961 5th edition still with dust jacket, id say average condition for its age. Now i don't know the value of this but in willing to do swap for something else if anyone is interested, say a couple of vintage avons, an agate tip ring for a mkiv ....
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I gather that one of the hardest to find is 'Dace', according to a chap I met at an auction. And the 'Carp' book by Dave Steuart was the first book ever to be written solely on the subject so its quite an historic document.

I've got some in assorted conditions and will look through them in a day or two, there may be some that TFF'ers are interested in.

Sussex Micky
Arctic Char

Post by Sussex Micky »

in thought the hardest was..specimen fish :Confused:

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

The ones I have highlighted in my list as rare/expensive are below although things may have changed since I made up the list. The rarer ones tend to be those having only one edition/printing.

Cod - Winston Hall
Elements of Nymph Fishing - Oliver Kite
Fishing in Ponds - David Marlborough
Grey Mullet - Alan Mitchell
Mackerel - John R. Fethney
Pollack and Coalfish - Ken Nicholas
Specimen Fish - Peter Stone

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”