Casting At The Sun vs How To Fish

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Blunderer
Bleak

Re: Casting At The Sun vs How To Fish

Post by Blunderer »

Whilst it might not be technically written better, "Casting" is a miles better book because it has a miles better story: Yates's whole life up to the capture of a record carp. Every angler can appreciate the magic of a young angler and his escalation up the angling ladder. The Redmire chapters represent an iconic phase in carp fishing history and the conclusion of course couldn't be more climactic.

You can sense Yates's subject matter drying up as his writing career progresses - which isn't his fault of course.

"How To Fish" was something of a return to form, and "Out of The Blue" was very good too, but "Nightwalk" is basically rubbish, apart from the fact that it has Yates's trademark beautiful language.

My opinion is of course subjective, and there are similarities with being a fan of a rock group in that your first album is the freshest and has the biggest resonance. And I read the Yates books in the order they were released.

For me, "Casting At The Sun" is the best fishing book ever written.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Some very interesting thoughts, guys. I does seem that I am in the minority with my preference, along with John L, and I thought I might be too.

I think another reason is because I have never been that into carp. I'd rather catch a specimen of any species, including an eel, over a large carp. (Not that I wouldn't love to catch my first 20LBer next season.)

I understand why though. The story of The Bishop is so iconic in carp history and is the very reason why I bought the book.

With Blunderer's comment, ""How To Fish" was something of a return to form, and "Out of The Blue"", I think I will look to read that one next, or after the lost diary.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

I don't think How to fish is anywhere near as good as four of Chris Yates other books:

Secret Carp
Casting at the Sun
Four Seasons
The Deepening Pool

All of the above four are superb and I find it difficult to decide whether I like Casting at the Sun best or the Secret Carp. I first read these two about ten years ago and I have now read them about six times each.
I have also read Four Seasons four times and would definitely place that in third position with the Deepening Pool a close fourth.
The Secret Carp is superb partly because it just covers 24 hours at one lake in midsummer day and is written so magnificently and descriptively that you are just transported there with CY.

The other three each cover in detail a lengthy period of CY's angling life - so there is a great deal of really interesting tales to recount, whereas nearly all of his other nine books cover much shorter periods or are sort of short-piece compilations ( Falling in again, Waterlog years), and for two of them he is not the actual author but the compiler ( Shadows and Reflections, The River Prince) as he only has one chapter of his own in each of those two.

I've read all his books and like them all but I think Nightwalk is the poorest of them - but then it isn't about angling.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Casting at the sun is by far his best book in my opinion
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

I'm surprised at how many people like "The Secret Carp" to be honest. I found it imminently forgettable and it felt a bit like that difficult third album, when the artists get experimental and brings in a full orchestra and the best producer that money can buy, but hasn't quite got the songs to make it deliver.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Blunderer wrote:I'm surprised at how many people like "The Secret Carp" to be honest. I found it imminently forgettable and it felt a bit like that difficult third album, when the artists get experimental and brings in a full orchestra and the best producer that money can buy, but hasn't quite got the songs to make it deliver.

It was a book that also had very good critical acclaim from non-angling reviews as well as angling reviews
To me it totally sums up the essence of spending a perfect summers day on an old unspoilt classic estate lake that has unknown potential.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

am I the only one who thought Nightwalk was really good?
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

As Blunder writes, Casting at the Sun is also for me, the best fishing book ever written. I feel that Yates gets less good in each successive book. There is so much life, passion and energy in Casting at the Sun that just isn't there in any of the other books.

For me my list would be:
Casting at the Sun
The Deeping Pool
The Secret Carp

Then any of the others ( I don't have all of them).
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

I have all of Chris Yates books on my shelves but the only one that I have not read is " Secret Carp " which after reading all the above comments has now gone to number 1 on my next book to read.
Casting At the Sun is without doubt my favourite read.

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

I've read most of Yates' books, I think Four Seasons, River Diaries and Nightwalk are the only ones I don't have. Out of the rest, Casting at the Sun was the only one I didn't finish. I was quite young when I tried to read it though so perhaps it's worth going back to some day soon. My personal favourites have always been The Deepening Pool and The Secret Carp.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”