Lee & Sons Aquilla. Pictures included

The Lee & Sons Rods forum.
Haydn Clarke

Re: Lee & Sons Aquilla.

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Ah, but I have been working! There are a few pieces in the back ground of one of those pictures. I only nicked an hour out of my working day, honest!

The iphone pics would have been better if only I'd remember to clean the lens. I always forget!

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

My Lee and Sons Aquilla. Finally finished. Whipped in Piper's Conifer, Malachite inters and Kenya Red tippings. It is a lovely lovely rod: hollow build butt and mid section; reinforced, serrated ferruls; Autolock reel seat, a nice one at that and with a Mitchell 300 fitted is tighter than a very tight thing; nice thick handle.... and then the rods condition apart from the poor previous restoration is was otherwise very good. Super straight, no delamination etc. I'm well chuffed.

The pictures don't do it much justice to be fair. The finish looks almost satin in these but it is full gloss.

A definite keeper.

Last edited by Haydn Clarke on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Tis a thing of beauty Haydn. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Haydn Clarke

Re: Lee & Sons Aquilla. Pictures included

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I meant to ask: anyone have any idea why a Redditch based manufacturer of fishing tackle would choose to name one of their "bottom" rods after a U.S lake? Odd, that.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

"Aquilla" is derived from the Latin "Aquila," meaning Eagle.

There is also a constellation named Aquila.

Perhaps this is where it comes from.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

I did find that when I Googled it, Ashby. I must admit, I didn't think it was that particular disambiguation, but then again... Whatever, and either way, it's an odd name for a rod.
Last edited by Haydn Clarke on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Still a fine looking rod, though !!! :Thumb:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Anyone else fancy one of these, there is one out there as we speak ....nudge nudge, wink wink....

In that well know costal resort where they take lots of extacy

Something....bay?

P.S I won't do a link but if you can't find it PM me.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Did anyone on here take this rod form the bay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SPLIT ... true&rt=nc

The name label has gone but I'm 99% certain it's another Aquilla and even with a shortened tip it probably still represents a bargain. Whoever did buy it, and even with a possible tip cost of around a ton, you will probably still be chuffed with your rod. I am with mine.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Such a wonderful thing Haydn...thanks for sharing sir. :Hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Lee & Sons Cane Rods”