Kevin Clifford

This forum belongs to Kevin Clifford.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Kevin Clifford

Post by Mark »

Another well deserving entry into our Hall Of Fame is none other than Kevin Clifford.

Kevin has written many books on angling and angling history, notably 'Redmire Pool' (with Len Arbery) and 'A History of Carp Fishing' (and the revisited edition) to name but two of my favourites. Kevin is also an avid collector of magazines and historical items related to angling and has some notable catches to his name. I shall be uploading some more pictures over the next few days.

Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Kevin Clifford

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Kevin in my mind is one of the biggest un-sung heroes of the carp fishing scene. Massively known in the 70's and early 80's but sadly a lot of to-days carp anglers who only follow modern things would only know Kevin through being the bloke at Carp Talk for years.

He was a big inspiration to me when I started carp angling. Kevin's chapter in Frank Gutfield's Big Fish Scene was read over and over again by me and when I found where I could purchase catering tins of sweet corn. Well, I thought the world was going to be at my feet LOL! It then sunk in and was another of lifes great lessons that you had to spend years practising and practising and nothing in carp fishing came easily. Well, that was before the hair rig anyway.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Don't forget this collaboration between Mssrs. Ball, Clifford and Paisley.

I thoroughly enjoyed Kevin Cliffords History Of Carp Fishing. I was just wondering if anyone had read either this or the revisited version of A History Of Carp Fishing? Interested in reading both or either but not if it's the same stuff just re-written / re-presented.

Colonelgsc
Roach

Post by Colonelgsc »

I'd have to vote for him on his sense of humour. When I ordered a copy of his latest, 'A History of Carp Fishing Revisited', I asked for it to be dedicated 'To The Colonel, Golden Scale Club'. It duly arrived, signed 'To The Colonel, Golden SKULL Club'. Brilliant, I laughed my socks off. The guy has a great sense of humour, in addition to being a meticulous angling researcher/historian and a fine fisherman, to boot. :Hat:

"If you can wait, and not be tired of waiting......" Kipling

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A true gentleman. When I was editing the Barbel Society magazine he was a great help and always found time for me, he also badgered me into writing for Coarse Angling Today which ultimately brought me a lot of pleasure. Top bloke and one of carp fishing's greats.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Haydn Clarke wrote:Don't forget this collaboration between Mssrs. Ball, Clifford and Paisley.

I thoroughly enjoyed Kevin Cliffords History Of Carp Fishing. I was just wondering if anyone had read either this or the revisited version of A History Of Carp Fishing? Interested in reading both or either but not if it's the same stuff just re-written / re-presented.
That has reminded me what a great book 'A century of Carp Fishing' is. A lengthy book packed with a vast amount of information, and so many good photos. I don't think its had much of a mention on TFF, so just to say if you have not read it, it is definitely one you should read.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

I have A History of Carp Fishing, but I'd never heard of A Century of Carp Fishing.
Looks like another one to add to the list

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Kevin was a great inspiration to myself and other youngsters who started carp fishing in the early days.A well deserved honour.
All of his books are a must read for anyone interested in Carp.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

Pedro wrote:Kevin was a great inspiration to myself and other youngsters who started carp fishing in the early days.A well deserved honour.
All of his books are a must read for anyone interested in Carp.
Totally agree.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

All his articles in Coarse Fisherman etc were quality, essential reading and well researched/written in a logical fashion.

I remember a piece called "The Truth about Lomond" which was gold!

Return to “Kevin Clifford”