The wensum

This forum belongs to the River Wensum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The wensum

Post by Mark »

River Roach wrote:Thanks for sorting out the picture, I wasn't having fun with that. I really should have turned on my computer. I'm usless on this phone
No problem Ben.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

River Roach wrote:Caught on cane and center pin, a float I made myself and landed in a cane landing net. Which makes the job even more satisfying
That all sounds just perfect to me. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Well done that man :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

Thanks everyone. I think I might be abit of a chub aholic for a little while.
The VFC I would love to but I'm going away on 14th :( this is something I'm still coming to terms with. My girlfriend and books us a cottage in the Lake District for a birthday gift. I'm over the moon with the gift, but I had big plans for that week. I guess there are worst places to be stuck on June 16th (this will be another thread, I need advise on places to fish whilst I'm there)
We should arrange a day on the river before the end of the session the VFC

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

JIm,

Fellbrigg is on my list of waters I want to fish. My old local tackle shop (now sadly gone) had a pair of tench in a case which were caught at Fellbrigg.

Does it fish well?

Gaz

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Hi Gaz - although Felbrigg doesn't perhaps produce the most fabulous of catches anymore, though the tench fishing is still reported to be very good (I haven't fished there for about 5 years) it is the environment that most attracts me: its a beautiful spot overlooked by the old house and made for a bit of cane and pin action! You're welcome to join the opening day fun if I can secure the lake that day.
Jim

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

I plan to fish the Wensum this year and am aiming for the free sections in Fakenham, which I understand run about 400m upstream of the Wensum Lodge Hotel and downstream a fair old distance through Fakenham Common; both sections look very promising indeed from a Google Earth perspective. One thing Google does show me is that there appear to be fishing platforms along the stretch from the hotel to the Jewson yard - is that what I'm seeing? It would be a rare and welcome thing to have well maintained access on a free stretch of river.

All thoughts on tactics and baits for this part of the Wensum would be most welcome! I imagine I'll get to fish it once before the season ends and hopefully more frequently over summer and autumn.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Jim,

I'd love to fish Felbrigg on the 16th, but being a non driver Norfolk is a bit of a schlep!

Still taking lessons again so 3rd time lucky in 30 years?

I'm thinking of starting the season on Warren Pond a Record Carp venue back in the 20's

Gaz

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Excellent RiverRoach :Thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

River Roach

Post by River Roach »

Hello Bigoll, I fish the Fakenham stretch on a regular bases and you are right in thinking there are platforms. The platforms area is a little temperamental. I have found that bit fishes best after lots of rain, mainly because its quite a still clear stretch most of the time, but when the river is up and full of colour this is my favourite place to be. Great for roach dace. If you go to the start of this thread the stretch in question is where I fished that day. It's my favourite place to trot, my choice of tackle would be an 5bb Avon style float. Maggot and hemp work great here. Although beware they often get greedy for the hemp and I personally hate trying to hook hemp. You should give me a shout when you have a trip planned as I work in the town and spend a lot of my days off on the river so I would most likely atleast be passing.

Return to “River Wensum”