Bending leather (without cracking it)

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Bending leather (without cracking it)

Post by Kevanf1 »

I would like to have a go at making my own replacement straps for my two creels. I can get hold of all the fittings and the leather but I am not sure of how to go about bending the leather over for things like buckles. When you buy a leather belt it is bent over and secured (usually stitched but I shall be riveting mine) very neatly. The fold is done without damaging or cracking the leather. Any ideas of how this can be successfully achieved? Would it need to be soaked in something first to soften it?

Cheers :hat:

Kevan
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

MGs
Pike

Re: Bending leather (without cracking it)

Post by MGs »

May be worth using some hide food. I use it on classic car seats and it softens old leather considerably.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leather-Hide-Fo ... 929&sr=8-1

I have used a few different ones, this cream seems to work ok
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Hi MGs :) I have something very similar to that and wonder if it may do the same thing? It's called Lord Sheraton's Leather balsam. I'll check the ingredients but I'm sure it is beeswax and lanolin like the Beelan product. I hadn't even thought of it yet I should have. I use it on my watch straps to keep them clean and also on the suite in the living room. I first started using it when I bought my Discovery back in 96. I'd specified full leather interior and the Lord Sheraton's kept it in good order for the 4 years I had the vehicle (sold it because I moved to Australia but then came back after a couple of months...).

Cheers for that idea :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Sounds similar. There are plenty of similar products on the market. My wife uses so on the leather tack for her horse, which is a similar stiffness to tackle straps, so it should work.

My seats, which the previous owner had left for a number of years took several treatments to soften so be patient.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Kevanf1 wrote:I would like to have a go at making my own replacement straps for my two creels. I can get hold of all the fittings and the leather but I am not sure of how to go about bending the leather over for things like buckles. When you buy a leather belt it is bent over and secured (usually stitched but I shall be riveting mine) very neatly. The fold is done without damaging or cracking the leather. Any ideas of how this can be successfully achieved? Would it need to be soaked in something first to soften it?

Cheers :hat:

Kevan
Hi Kevanf1, :hat:
in my leather working days, for such a case as a buckle, the leather in the area to be folded, was just wetted with nothing more than water. Once soaked, the fold was made and could then held in place by a rubber band whilst it dries thoroughly.
Once dry, the buckle could be assembled and then fixed.
Now is the best time to feed and protect the leather, after assembly. I always use "Neats Foot oil".

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Ah, thank you MD :) I had wondered about softening with water but didn't think it could be that easy... I know about using steam to soften wood which is of course just water in another state :)

Neats Foot Oil. I've heard of that stuff before. Possibly from decades ago when my sister in law and mother in law rode horses. Plenty of options to go with now. I'd best order the leather and buckles/reducers.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Tigger wrote:
Neats foot oil is good stuff. My Mrs used to use it on her saddles, bridles etc, I use it on my walking boot's. It might be a bit greasy for a belt though.
I'll only really need to use it in small quantities where I need to bend leather back on itself. There will be two reducers as the strap goes down from 2 inches wide to 1 inch to travel through the creel. Then buckles to adjust the size for the shoulder section. So I could pour some on and rub it in well to just soften those small areas :) For the rest of the strapping I can use the beeswax/lanolin stuff :)

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Kevanf1 wrote: I'll only really need to use it in small quantities where I need to bend leather back on itself. There will be two reducers as the strap goes down from 2 inches wide to 1 inch to travel through the creel. Then buckles to adjust the size for the shoulder section. So I could pour some on and rub it in well to just soften those small areas :) For the rest of the strapping I can use the beeswax/lanolin stuff :)
Hi again Kevanf1, :hat:

personally, I'd use the Neatsfoot oil on the whole of the strap. As with any leatherware, keep an eye on it and give it another wipe over if it appears to be dry (it certainly wont do it any harm to do it a couple of times a year!). Wipe it on, leave it for 10 minutes, then polish any excess off with a clean cloth.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Maggots Dad is absolutely correct water is the key just let it dry out naturally and feed it afterwards.For your straps or creel hinges its best to use bridle shoulder.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Harry H wrote:Maggots Dad is absolutely correct water is the key just let it dry out naturally and feed it afterwards.For your straps or creel hinges its best to use bridle shoulder.
Ok. I am planning on using bridle leather, or the straps that bridles are made from anyway. If that's the same sort of stuff. Good, thick and tough. Should last me the rest of my life especially as I intend on keeping it clean and well conditioned (fed) :)

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”