Neo Caster, why also made in UK?

The Other Reels forum.
Rockape
Rudd

Neo Caster, why also made in UK?

Post by Rockape »

I'm not sure how much knowledge or interest there is in these strange little reels, but maybe someone here has an answer to a question I have?

The Neo Caster was designed and built by Rudolph R Kilian, of Baldwinsville, New York (during the 50's I think?), and while I have some knowledge on the reel's history, I am still at a loss as to why they were made in the UK also, and not exported to the UK (as Mitchell did exporting to the USA).

Earlier reels are USA only with a small design difference (red cap on handle side), but later US reels look identical except for the wording on the casing (see photos).

British manufacturing was by Remploy (an organisation that provided employment to those with various disabilities).

I'm guessing that 'Fraser' was the UK distributor, but as with Mitchell and Garcia, a bit of a shame (to me) that to get the product distrbuted overseas, the inventor/builder has to share their name plate with the distributor; also engraved, and second to the distributors name, but that is just me (and I digress, sorry).

Such a quirky and cool looking reel.

Does anyone here have the backstory on UK Neo Caster production?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Milford
Grayling

Re: Neo Caster, why also made in UK?

Post by John Milford »

I've never seen one before, but that is one cool little reel! :Cool:

Thanks for sharing Rockape - and good luck with your search for information. :Hat:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

John Milford wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:25 pm I've never seen one before, but that is one cool little reel! :Cool:

Thanks for sharing Rockape - and good luck with your search for information. :Hat:
No worries John, thank you. :Hat:
It's quite a small reel, and has a bit of a cute factor to it.
Never used it in anger though....yet.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Never seen one - in the '60s multipliers were a 'thing of the sea' - beach casting or from a boat.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Olly wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:06 pm Never seen one - in the '60s multipliers were a 'thing of the sea' - beach casting or from a boat.
This is like a small retro low profile baitcaster (to use the American term), but minus an end plate, which places a lot of doubt in it's strength to my mind, but apparently it works (not so sure for bigger fish?).

American anglers use small multipliers in freshwater fishing a lot more than we do in the uk, and so this would have been normal for freshwater over there.
This one would have appeared well into the Pflueger, Shakespeare, Bronson etc. freshwater multiplier era, but this has freespool and the Pfluegers etc do not (mind those knuckles).
I don't know if they sold many in the UK; probably not, because it would have been immediately viewed as a sea reel, too small for the job.....perhaps?

The idea was to make a reel with quick line/spool changes. Fascinating mechanics.

I saw my own immaculate condition example (pictured in my first post) on that auction site and immediately fell in love with it.
Would have preferred it to have been the earlier original US version (love the red disc and absence of the Fraser name), but hopefully I will have both at some point (I really must take mine on an outing sometime). They are almost identical in construction and finsh, so I'm not really missing out on anything major by having the British built reel.....

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Olly wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:06 pm Never seen one - in the '60s multipliers were a 'thing of the sea' - beach casting or from a boat.
For you maybe Olly :Hat: I was initiated into them by trolling lures on waters that, to a boy, were really seas. Wild days on the likes of Lomond, Awe, Ness, Rannoch in a wind and The Corrib etc prove they still are. It is a unique and lovely feeling. Almost like being at sea itself.

I'm sure you know the Sweedish round baitcaster was developed for spinning lures, as were their 500 series closed face and pretty much all their major tackle designs. I find it fascinating that anglers around the globe have adapted lure fishing tackle throughout many, many years inorder to suit their specific needs. Tournament casting has taken the round baitcaster to its extreme.The bleed over from that much chased USA market is huge.

. Obviously I'm a fan of baitcasters in general. That single sided support is interesting! A friend has a motorcycle with similar but opposing hubs, front and rear.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

I will try to get a size reference photo posted later.

But for now, here is a clearer image, again with no size reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rod Fisher
Roach

Post by Rod Fisher »

The American reel was distributed by the Penrod company of Gilbertsville Pennsylvania.

I would guess that the answer to your question may be subsidised manufacturing to reduce foreign imports, boost employment.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Rod Fisher wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:21 am The American reel was distributed by the Penrod company of Gilbertsville Pennsylvania.

I would guess that the answer to your question may be subsidised manufacturing to reduce foreign imports, boost employment.
Thank you so much for posting that ad, and yes that could well be the reason, thank you.

Just grabbed a few more photos for anyone interested (love the backwind spool disconnect; this thing was designed to keep you fishing).

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Hi Rockape.Your photo's and detailed info are always top notch.....Russ 👍

Return to “Other Reels”