Pflueger Skilkast Multiplier

The Other Reels forum.
Rockape
Rudd

Pflueger Skilkast Multiplier

Post by Rockape »

I took a bit of a liking to this little reel whilst thumbing through that auction site.
I had it on watch for ages, and when the price dropped on it, I still wasn't sure, as I had heard they weren't worth a lot, but I gradually became obsessed with it's looks and condition, so I made an offer and it was accepted.

I did some research on it, and found that having the circle pattern on the casings, a cork arbor and the provision of an extra spare screw in the sideplate, made it a 6 screw model, and marks it as a 1941 / 42 reel,
It has 1941 printed on the bottom of the box, so 1941 it is, which apparently was the first year of production for the Skilkast; It came with it's instruction booklet too...cool!

I read that during mid 1942, the USA stopped all reel production in favour of WWII support.
When Pflueger continued production in 1947 (I think?), the reel had lost the 6th screw, cork arbor, and now had a nice fish pattern around the casing, so while there maybe a lot of these out there, I was pleased to have one from the first year of production (pre USA wartime).

When it arrived, I was a bit concerned, because it was just wrapped as a large black spongey plastic package, but after I had removed a ton of black wrap and bubble wrap, I was shocked at how small the box inside was, and so too the reel itself (my fears were put to rest, as this package would have survived a 30,000 foot drop! Seriously! Props to the seller for that).

So being (as I am) completely unable to leave anything be, I wanted to remove the hardened oil film around various points on the reel, which I successfully did.
I then went on to try to unscrew the two philips screws from the reel foot bars to get to any hidden grime; don't attempt this! They are in very tight, and even using the exact fit screwdriver bit, may (will) result in chewing of the cross head screw socket.

My other mistake was to try to polish up the brass spool sides, but it turned out to be yellowed laqcuer, which just flaked off, so I now have shiny polished aluminium spool sides instead (looks a lot better, I will say that).
I dread to think that I may have ruined any value on this reel, but what is done is done I suppose?

Anyway, enough paragraphs of regret.

Never thought I would gain an interest in these reels, but they are growing on me.
This little reel is wonderfully smooth in operation, but has no anti reverse or free spool (knuckle busters, I think they are known as by collectors and users in the US).
It also has a type of anti backlash arrangement in the end plate.

Here it is all polished up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rockape on Wed May 15, 2024 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Re: Pflueger Skilcast Multiplier

Post by Mr B »

I like that, USA made reels are top class in my opinion for the money.
I have a good friend ( not a TFF member) who collects them.Your reel looks very nice.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Mr B wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:38 pm I like that, USA made reels are top class in my opinion for the money.
I have a good friend ( not a TFF member) who collects them.Your reel looks very nice.

Mr B
Yes, superb quality from the USA, thank you Mr B
Love this little reel!

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Thats a corker !
I have a couple of English “ knucklebusters” and really like the simplicity of them. Neither is a patch upon your American purchase though, Ithink it looks lovely , and boxed as well !

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

A lovely reel and superb pictures, thank you.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Old Man River wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:09 pm Thats a corker !
I have a couple of English “ knucklebusters” and really like the simplicity of them. Neither is a patch upon your American purchase though, Ithink it looks lovely , and boxed as well !

David
Thank you David. :Hat:

It was in amazing condition before I got to the small details, but I didn't know if what I was seeng in the listing photos was worn chrome over brass or just oil residue that had been there for years. It was mainly around the screws and handle, so I took the chance and with some Carnuba wax polish I was able to gently remove what turned out to be oil stains, plus a little Autosol here and there, but I only use that stuff when nothing else will work.

Upon opening it up, it was clear that this was it's first stripdown in a very long time....maybe it's very first one?
The screws were difficult to shift and there was a significant amount of dirt and grime in the inside of the cover plate, and the level wind assembly (the gears were clogged with rock hard grease).
Last edited by Rockape on Sun May 12, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Fredline wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:41 pm A lovely reel and superb pictures, thank you.
Thank you Fredline. :Hat:

Return to “Other Reels”