Milwards Flymaster reel (Youngs-postwar ? )

General fly fishing chat area.
Cane Newbie
Ruffe

Milwards Flymaster reel (Youngs-postwar ? )

Post by Cane Newbie »

Today i went to the Redditch vintage sale at Abbey Stadium.

Many many things of wonder for sale, some of which came home with me.

The main one being a Brown or Bronze Milwards 3.5" Fly Master reel to go with the Flycatcher rod i have been working on.
IMG_0647.JPG[/attachment [attachment=1]IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG
The seller thinks it is post war production and around 1948 made by Youngs for Milwards. Quite sure it was not pre-war.
So i am trying to place a date.
The online catalogues jump the post war period and go to the 1950's but the Reels are missing from what i am finding.

Any pointers please as where to look. So far a forum search isn't showing anything.

After giving it a good clean and bath in warm soapy water to get the junk out around the pawls, which where packed with gunge, and then drying i have found a date code and Patent application.
IMG_0654.JPG

It reads " PAT.APP.45" - " 48/45 " i don't know how to read Patent codes. I take this to mean the regulator Patent was applied for in 1945 and could the " 48/45 " equate to 48th week of year 1945 ?

After a good clean and a dab of oil here and smear of grease there it's ready for line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cane Newbie
Ruffe

Re: Milwards Flymaster reel (Youngs-postwar ? )

Post by Cane Newbie »

And a few more pictures.
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG

Has seen some use and not being a collector but intending to use it a bit of patina is no bad thing.

So far i think it's 1946 onwards, seller was sure it was at least late 1940's perhaps 1948.

Any pointers or info would be most welcome.

(i am chuffed to bits with it and hope to get out this week and try the rod and reel together)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

The patent was applied for by J W Young & sons
Looking at the reel features of plastic check lever and painted/riveted badge I would have thought 1950,as apposed the earlier metal check lever and engraved detailing.
:Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Nice functional reels, I have several. I think the double check dates it later?

Cane Newbie
Ruffe

Post by Cane Newbie »

@Harry H
@Liphook

Thank you both very much.

Had another look into later catalogues and found in the 1958/59 a photo that matches.

Finished in a non-flash brown paint, fitted with check regulator, spare check work and perforated drum in sizes 3" - 3.5" - 3.5" Extra wide drum.

Pages (as printed on the scanned page) 55 and 56
https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... 958-59.pdf

So quite likely 1950's or somewhere between 1946 - 1958

It appears in the 1959 - 1960 catalogue but the line guide has been changed to a Wire line guide and not the square hole guide. Same again 1960/61/62

I should have taken a photo of the line guide, i have a square hole metal line guide that is held on by a single screw and fixed for RHW, while it would be possible to swap it around for LHW that requires a screw hole to be drilled and tapped in the frame, something not done by the factory.
(will take pics later)

Cane Newbie
Ruffe

Post by Cane Newbie »

More of a note to myself.

Been scanning through ebay listings and barely anything gets dated there.

However, JW Youngs Beaudex seem to be the base model. I have found identical internals to mine on RHW single regulator, and also what would be a later version with Dual regulator for both RHW/LHW patent markings on case and regulator parts are the same as the Milward variant.

Being made to order by Youngs for Milwards, then every little detail you miss out reflects on price, so less work = cheaper. The Beaudex has the extra drilled and tapped screw hole to reverse the line guide, this is missing on the Milward. The drum has a small U-notch to allow line to pass through the case when removing the drum/spool, again not on the Milward.

it's another avenue to look down as Beaudex history may slim down production date.

Also had a good look at the flex fit wire line guide that was later standard but early versions it was an extra at cost. I think i can do that at home with some brass rod, a vice, a big hammer.

Will do some more research later.

Cane Newbie
Ruffe

Post by Cane Newbie »

Another note to myself.

Searching is now showing this thread.

The Beaudex reel is post war 1946 for the Type I. Studying photos it is identical to the Milward Flymaster other than the spool latch cap is embossed with J W Youngs, and the regulator catch is a dull metal, maybe Alu.

Beaudex Type II is 1950 onwards. The dual regulator is in place and the regulator adjuster is now black plastic. The spool latch cap is now a stronger conical shape, and the line guide is now a dual way/wind Wire guide.

So moving back towards the sellers guess of 1948 as most of the features would have slowly changed around or after this time, and Milwards would have altered final spec to suit their expected price point.

Quite good history dive here and lots of photos.
https://whiteaddersflyfishingmuseum.wee ... t-war.html

Cane Newbie
Ruffe

Post by Cane Newbie »

Going down a rabbit hole now on Youngs via various forums. This gets easier than searching for Milwards Flymaster reel.

I purchased from a stall at the Redditch vintage tackle fair, i got a business card as well and the seller stated if you need any spares get in touch. The conversation went along the lines of i am not a collector and intend to actually use the reel, i was quizzed about line weight and said #6wt wf/f i was told that should fit ok but don't expect much backing..... i replied so far i have not had any line out the full 90ft length so not worried about losing out on some backing line.

www.milltackle.com

And the company has cropped up in research and have a strong tie back to modern Youngs which would reinforce the 1948 date as they refurbish and supply modern made spare parts.
Other little details have edged it up to 1947 onwards as well, so narrowing down to a couple of years.

I have also found that another variation is the post war "Allcocks Marvel Bordeaux" in 3.5" size.

Cane Newbie
Ruffe

Post by Cane Newbie »

And more digging around but following JW Youngs Beaudex history.

Earlier it was hinted that double check may be later date. The "Junior" 3" version in non-flash brown came with a single pawl check, no line guide, no regulator, un-drilled spool face so maybe that is the difference of being a smaller cheaper version leading to possible confusion.
pb~Reels~Beaudex Reels~IMG_1216.jpg

The 3 types of line guide. Early square type, followed by Oval type (i have found 2 versions of differing length and single screw fixing, and 1 long version with dual screws) and the 1950 onwards Wire guide, which could have been an extra but later became fitted replacing the screw fit guides.
Exact date of when guides changed are not known.

I have found (via another forum) some good photos but unable to transfer here due to file type.
It's a gloss brighter brown finish and an Oval line guide in a larger size and it appears to be 2 screws holding the guide in place, where as the others are single screw in the 3 in a row photo.

I would guess this is the end of the 1940's as the line guide changes in 1950 and the change in paint would indicate they have used all the war surplus non-flash brown paint used on control panels.
I have seen the Green Condex reels and that also came about because Youngs bought a lot of green war surplus paint from Dunlop.

So circa late 1947 into 1948 as it's the early type square line guide and in non-flash brown paint.

Took a few more pictures of mine and it is now loaded up with a Snowbee classic WF/F #6wt line (90ft) and i spooled on 5mm of depth of backing which still leaves the line some wiggle room and not totally filling the spool.
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG

Not much more i can add, if anything else crops up i will add info as this thread is now showing up when searching for information.

Return to “General Fly Chat”