Hello from Sussex

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
BrightonCynic
Stickleback

Hello from Sussex

Post by BrightonCynic »

I'm just returning to coarse fishing and, rods and reels aside, I need everything to fish. I've been wondering where to find a suitable readily poirtable net, floats for river perch, chub, barbel and carp? Also looking for advice on weights, including split shot, and line. And barbless hooks. Everybody has been super-helpful so if you have any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Re: Hello from Sussex

Post by Coral Maestro »

You could worse than use Maxima Chameleon line, Anchor split shot and Kamasan or Drennan hooks. I'm sure others will come back with their own recommendations.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

A thumbs up for Maxima from me.... :Thumb:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Wanderer wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:43 am A thumbs up for Maxima from me.... :Thumb:
And me…

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Welcome from Lancing. Tackle choice is subjective. I worry much less these days what terminal tackle I use. I tend to use Kamazan and Drennan hooks, eyed and spade end, and Drennan hooklength but don't worry too much about main line etc. I'm sure people will be coming along who will say they'd never use any of those, but as I said, it's subjective. As always, some things catch more anglers than fish.
Actually I'd be interested to know what rivers you intend to fish - by PM if you don't want to tell everyone. The club I'm in has stretches of the Adur, Arun and Rother but I must admit I'm more of a stillwater man. One of the committee is doing his best to convert me! He has a lot of success on the Adur.
Last edited by MWithell on Tue May 14, 2024 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

BrightonCynic
Stickleback

Post by BrightonCynic »

Being further east I'm going to try my luck on the Sussex Ouse ...

BrightonCynic
Stickleback

Post by BrightonCynic »

Coral Maestro wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am You could worse than use Maxima Chameleon line, Anchor split shot and Kamasan or Drennan hooks. I'm sure others will come back with their own recommendations.
Amazed that Maxima Chameleon is still available - I expect the spec has changed a lot since I first used it. I think I prefer barbless hooks but don't know if there's a coarse equivalent to the Roman Moser Arrowpoints I use fly fishing.

BrightonCynic
Stickleback

Post by BrightonCynic »

Mark wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:07 am Welcome to the forum.
Thanks - everybody's super helpful.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I was a Member of OAPS and tried on many occasional visits for one of the rivers sea trout having seen a ten pound plus monster caught! Only once I hooked one - - and it promptly threw the hook!

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”