Where to find floats?

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
BrightonCynic
Stickleback

Where to find floats?

Post by BrightonCynic »

I'm just returning to coarse fishing and, rods and reels aside, I need everything to fish. I am wondering where to find floats, appropriate for river perch, chub, barbel and carp? Also looking for advice on weights, including split shot, and line. Hope you can help ...

Mike Crompton
Bleak

Re: Where to find floats?

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
I don’t know how well you are at DIY or making things but think about making you own floats, rod rests etc? If you look in the Forum you can find plenty of advice and inspiration. You cannot beat watching a float you made slowly go under and your rod bends to the antics of a fish.
That’s how I started and now make most of my tackle including restoring and making split cane rods. Give it some thought.
Mike

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I'll second Mike's comments. I'd never made a single float until I joined the forum. Since then, I have only fished with floats I've made myself. It can become a bit compulsive. I've probably given away as many as I have kept. I'd recommend starting off with some simple ones. Goose quills are a good place to start. Cane and balsa, are also relatively simple. Both types can be made with a knife blade, sandpaper and some whipping thread.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There are some on here who make floats and offer them for sale. There are also sellers on other specific float making websites -- --that may be of interest!

Mike Crompton
Bleak

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
If you live near the coast? Brighton. Go down to the beach and pick up seagull feathers, wash them well and cut off the feather and then let them dry out for a few days. Using a craft knife scrape of any remaining feather. Find some wire, I use copper wire from electric flex and wind a loop around a needle or small nail. All that remains to be done is to cut the quill to length and whip on the wire loop on the bottom. Then paint to your colour for the tip, and varnish, two coats preferably. Then enjoy.
It worth a try.
Mike

BrightonCynic
Stickleback

Post by BrightonCynic »

Thanks for all the advice. Sadly I don't have time to make floats this season (I'm reminded that I used to make them as a young man) - maybe in the close season :)

And hooks? I really like Roman Moser Arrowpoint (barbless) hooks and wonder if they're still available or if there's a coarse equivalent?

I used to use Maxima Chameleon for all my coarse fishing so would be grateful to know what the best nylon is now. Finally, split shot - is there decent lead-free shot? I've been recommended Diawa Sensor line and Dinsmore shot?

Thanks again.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Honestly, best way is to go to a tackle shop. Most local, independent ones would be happy to spend the time helping you with things like line, hooks, other tackle etc. I've never met a grumpy, or unhelpful tackle shop proprietor.

They're also a great source of information too, for things like venues.

They're probably happy to receive your custom. Use them or lose them. Too many sadly gone already.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

If you do decide you want to make floats, I recommend peacock quill for a few simple wagglers as a good staying point. Trim to size, perhaps whip on an eye or glue in a bamboo stem for a float adaptor, and paint. Simples.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

For a good selection of commercially-made river floats try Benwick Sports who are recommended by many for good service. Dave Harrell floats are very good, being designed by a top river angler.

I've found Anchor shot the best.

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

If you haven’t the time to make floats, and considering you’re on this forum, do an internet search for traditional fishing floats, and you see plenty on offer. I just love some of the older style reed floats and goose quill floats myself.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”