Shangri La Lake

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Shangri La Lake

Post by Ljm183 »

SteveC wrote:Shangri la lake near Clacton, had some of my first doubles from there back in the early 70's.
My best carp from Shangri la lake, now known as Oaklands Caravan Park St Osyth. in 2010
went 20lb 4oz, had loads of tench to 6lb, the lake is now a lot smaller and shallower than it used to be as the site owners have put caravan plot,s around the lake. The lake is believed to be over 100 years old and the carp are long lean and very dark.

Lee.

Derek S

Post by Derek S »

Shangrila la lake in Essex, features in Jim Gibbinson's first book carp. I also fished there in the 1970's and caught carp up to 18 plus in the winter. Great surprise as we didn't think the fish in there grew that large!
Landridge lake in the Lea Valley has the capability of holding huge carp, but is controlled by at least four different access clubs. I fished it over a number of years for pike and bream. Bob Horngold has a number of interesting posts on various forums about this place. It also has very big tench.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Just to clarify, in the book aphrodites carp the lake he refers to is definitely not any lake in the UK.
Just because he gives it the name' shangrila ' it doesn't mean that is the lakes real name.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

I did a little digging and think I have found the place mentioned. I mailed Mr Langridges publishers but he never responded.... :holmes:

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

WindJammer wrote:I did a little digging and think I have found the place mentioned. I mailed Mr Langridges publishers but he never responded.... :holmes:
Spill the beans then.. ...pweeeease....

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »

I'm unsure, I just went by the clues in the book such as they were, the place I found mostly fits the bill but......

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Derek S wrote: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:27 pm Shangrila la lake in Essex, features in Jim Gibbinson's first book carp. I also fished there in the 1970's and caught carp up to 18 plus in the winter. Great surprise as we didn't think the fish in there grew that large!
Landridge lake in the Lea Valley has the capability of holding huge carp, but is controlled by at least four different access clubs. I fished it over a number of years for pike and bream. Bob Horngold has a number of interesting posts on various forums about this place. It also has very big tench.
A bit of 'Thread hopping' revealed this old topic and stirred some fond memories.

I also fished the Essex 'Shangri-la' at St Osyth in my youth and caught my first pike and carp there on the same day. Julian Cundliff was fishing there on our first visit, which I think was in 1972. He seemed a pleasant chap and wasn't the least bothered about sharing the carp fishing for a few days with three less than expert teenagers.

Our baits were great lumps of sausage meat and oatmeal paste, flavoured with Bisto powder and molded around cubes of crust on size 2 hooks. They were simply freelined as far out as we could cast them. Bite indication was as rudimentary as it gets, with a coin balanced on the slackened-off spool of my Mitchell 320 with a tin plate beneath to catch it.

I can still recall my utter disbelief at the clank! whiiiiiiiiiiiiizzz as this thirteen pounder took off!

A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Lovely :Hat:

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

John Milford wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:36 pm
Derek S wrote: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:27 pm Shangrila la lake in Essex, features in Jim Gibbinson's first book carp. I also fished there in the 1970's and caught carp up to 18 plus in the winter. Great surprise as we didn't think the fish in there grew that large!
A bit of 'Thread hopping' revealed this old topic and stirred some fond memories.

I also fished the Essex 'Shangri-la' at St Osyth in my youth and caught my first pike and carp there on the same day. Julian Cundliff was fishing there on our first visit, which I think was in 1972. He seemed a pleasant chap and wasn't the least bothered about sharing the carp fishing for a few days with three less than expert teenagers.

Our baits were great lumps of sausage meat and oatmeal paste, flavoured with Bisto powder and molded around cubes of crust on size 2 hooks. They were simply freelined as far out as we could cast them. Bite indication was as rudimentary as it gets, with a coin balanced on the slackened-off spool of my Mitchell 320 with a tin plate beneath to catch it.

I can still recall my utter disbelief at the clank! whiiiiiiiiiiiiizzz as this thirteen pounder took off!

as can be seen from an earlier post- some " superstar" carp anglers fished here.
I remember very wide rush beds - and carp waving at us from out of reach
I blanked!

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”