A Fistful of Korka's

The Other Reels forum.
Rockape
Rudd

Re: A Fistful of Korka's

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:17 pm I really wanted to straighten that Magnet foot but I was too scared to attempt it.Bit more...bit more.....just a little bit more................. OH DEAR.
Yeah, it's always on that one last little tweak to perfection that it all ends in disaster; I did it to a Mitchell handle counterweight that was 'almost there', and an Intrepid Classic bail lock slider. Cast aluminium alloy is probably better heated to near melting point before any bending takes place...and even then? Probably like yourself, I just can't leave things be, only to regret it later.

As you well know, the Korka and Magnet body /foot castings are one and the same item, so I used one of my better ones to 'fix it'; the side plate, rotor, spool, handle and internals are all the original Magnet.
I'll post a pic soon.

Several minutes later:

Le Magnet:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Re: A Fistful of Korka's

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Rockape wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 pm
Russell Howard Brown wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:17 pm I really wanted to straighten that Magnet foot but I was too scared to attempt it.Bit more...bit more.....just a little bit more................. OH DEAR.
Yeah, it's always on that one last little tweak to perfection that it all ends in disaster; I did it to a Mitchell handle counterweight that was 'almost there', and an Intrepid Classic bail lock slider. Cast aluminium alloy is probably better heated to near melting point before any bending takes place...and even then? Probably like yourself, I just can't leave things be, only to regret it later.

As you well know, the Korka and Magnet body /foot castings are one and the same item, so I used one of my better ones to 'fix it'; the side plate, rotor, spool, handle and internals are all the original Magnet.
I'll post a pic soon.

Several minutes later:

Le Magnet:
Tinkering disasters........I'm reminded of two of my epic failures.First,a very rare Louis Perrot FSR.A sprung loaded grease nipple absolutely jammed solid.3in1 and WD40 didn't work so,having gone into 'numpty mode' I held the pesky nipple above the gas hob for a bit.....and another bit......and then another bit.........and then it exploded !!!💥💥💥.Secondly,a dilapidated and very old Hardy splitcane 2pc purchased at Denham Boot for just a few £££'s because it had a 'set' in the top section.I removed the old whippings and rusty rings and then held it over a big saucepan of steaming water........The old glue 'unglued' and the six sections spread out like an octopus.From restoration to incineration.I love a bonfire.TTFN😎👍

Return to “Other Reels”