What a Korka!

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Rockape
Roach

What a Korka!

Post by Rockape »

Hi all,

The subject of my post here is TJ Harrington and Son's 'The Korka'; a very basic, but still cool little reel.

As with a lot of reels in my collection, I searched and searched for this fairly elusive model; ...fast forward a year or so and I seem to have them coming out of my ears!

The first one I obtained was via ebay from a fellow member here, by the name of Russell Howard Brown (Hi Russ), who I had been bidding against (unknown to me at the time...and who I subsiquently lost to) when it first came up for sale. The bonus with that one was that it came with a box; the negative aspect was that someone had filed the foot to fit a modern rod.

Gradually, over time, I obtained more of them in various levels of condition, so taking the first reel (which was in grest condition and the body section of another, I was able to restore the damaged foot reel to almost new condition, and build two fairly decent additional reels from best condition parts.
See photos below of the fully restored first reel and a couple of extra group shots (my new elusive target is the Bantam, also by TJ Harrington & Son; now that is a very cool reel, visually and mechanically).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rockape
Roach

Re: What a Korka!

Post by Rockape »

And the group shots:

Looking at some of the components on this reel, you would think they would be directly interchangable with the Omnia's, but not so; same handle, but thinner gear shaft fixing point for one.

Thanks for looking. :Hat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Harrington's didn't have the best reputation for quality but they were the starting point for many anglers and part of fishing history.
Can't say I've heard of the Bantam. What sort of reel is it?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Harry H wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:50 am Harrington's didn't have the best reputation for quality but they were the starting point for many anglers and part of fishing history.
Hi Harry H,

Agreed, the quality of all their reels is questionable (and their shockingly slow retieve rate).

The Bantam is a fixed spool reel, but with a double gear arrangement (here are some photos; some are Russell Browns images, so I hope he won't mind me posting them).

I do have one (pictured) but the gear stud is broken on one panel and the gear and (AR?) link assy is missing.

If anyone here has one they are willing to sell (in any condition), please let me know.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Rockape wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:17 pm
Harry H wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:50 am Harrington's didn't have the best reputation for quality but they were the starting point for many anglers and part of fishing history.
Hi Harry H,

Agreed, the quality of all their reels is questionable (and their shockingly slow retieve rate).

The Bantam is a fixed spool reel, but with a double gear arrangement (here are some photos; some are Russell Browns images, so I hope he won't mind me posting them).

I do have one (pictured) but the gear stud is broken on one panel and the gear and (AR?) link assy is missing.

If anyone here has one they are willing to sell (in any condition), please let me know.
They did like the Flash Gordon rocket shape for their fixed spool reels.
I'll keep an eye out at the car boots for you :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Harry H wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:05 pm
Hi Harry H,

Thank you Harry H, much appreceated. :Hat:

I have one or two of those (Omnia's) laying around, plus one that I polished up in true Dan Gordon style..lol!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Rockape wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:58 pm
Harry H wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:05 pm
Hi Harry H,

Thank you Harry H, much appreceated. :Hat:

I have one or two of those (Omnia's) laying around, plus one that I polished up in true Dan Gordon style..lol!
When you wind the handle do sparks come out the back :Chuckle:
Anthony Shepherdson

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

No, but what a great idea!! Hmmm.....just maybe....

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”