Knots

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Wamfess
Ruffe

Knots

Post by Wamfess »

:Ok: :surrender:
I have just finished reading a book called Fly Fishing for Duffers, by R.D.Peck. I can thoroughly recommend it. Even for someone not into books, it's a emarkable read and it's pocket size, with big letters and only 82 pages, so grab a copy if you can. I think I paid 3 quid for mine on the Bay Post Inc.
The reason I am bringing it to people's attention is on the subject of Knots. Without wanting to spoil the reading for people, he like me has used limited knots for angling over the considerable period of time that he has partaken of the sport. I have to confess I only know a few knots, enough to get a fly tied on my line, enabling me on the odd occasion to catch a trout, and even a salmon or two. I find myself in the position of needing to know the coarse anglers prospective on this. This is for teaching purposes and is starting to develop into a situation of the blind leading the blind. Help! Do you chaps use any special knots and can anyone tell me why there so many in tackle books. Is it just to confuse the likes of me.
Bill

Dave F
Grayling

Re: Knots

Post by Dave F »

The Pocket Guide to Fishing Knots by Peter Owen will give you a very thorough insight into Knots for joining lines; Tying loops; Joining Leader to fly line; Knots for hooks and even tools to help tying the knots. In all, there are about thirty knots.

I tend to use only three or four knots. Blood knot for joining line or the Double Uni knot.
Improved Clinch knot for eyed hooks/swivels or the Grinner knot.
The spade end knot - for spade end hooks.
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Wamfess
Ruffe

Post by Wamfess »

Thanks Dave, much the same as myself, but more it seems than R.D. Peck. I shall give Peter Owen a try. I have just noticed also that I have some instruction in my Andersons diary of 1937. There's obviously loads of info available but nice to know what fellow anglers do.
Bill👍

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've fished for coarse, game, and sea fish and have used the Grinner knot for the vast majority of it. I use a spade-end knots and knotless knots when necessary and a few variations on the knotless theme depending on how I want to present a bait. I have full confidence in each knot just as long as they are tied correctly :Wink:

Wamfess
Ruffe

Post by Wamfess »

That's a new one on me. I haven't heard of knotless knots Dave. I will be asking Mr. Google later. And I really should learn spade end knots, which I have been avoiding for years, just too dilatory. Will try and get into gear this weekend☝
Bill

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Wamfess wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:29 pm That's a new one on me. I haven't heard of knotless knots Dave. I will be asking Mr. Google later. And I really should learn spade end knots, which I have been avoiding for years, just too dilatory. Will try and get into gear this weekend☝
Bill
It's a simple knot for hair tying but also sets the hook at an aggressive angle for a better hook-hold. This may not be something you need for your fishing but it is a popular knot nowadays.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”