A.E. Rudge

The history & development of fishing tackle part of the forum.
Wamfess
Ruffe

A.E. Rudge

Post by Wamfess »

:surrender: I am interested in the history of A.E. Rudge if anyone has any info I would be grateful.
Date established and company ended etc.

Bill

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: A.E. Rudge

Post by Barbelseeker »

suggest that you look here, there is 2 pages concerning Mr Rudge:

viewforum.php?f=307

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

don't know if this helps - as info - seems pretty rare:

If this was his catalogue No 21, and it was printed in 1939, you might be able to find some information from about 1918

at least you have an address also to search with.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I can’t help regarding history, but having worked on several A E Rudge rods over the years, I can confirm that the quality of the cane, fittings, and workmanship, was very good indeed. One rod in particular comes to mind, a 10’6” three piece float rod, one of the few rods I regret selling.

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

My first ever 'proper' rod was an A.E.Rudge 'boys' small, 2-joint cane trout fly rod, bought post war.
It was and still is, a joy to use and once caught a 6lb spring salmon for me whilst trout fishing with upstream nymph!

A.E.Rudge also used to make beautiful metal Devon minnows, each one perfectly painted and tied to a printed card -for half the price of 'top' brand ones!
Last edited by Watermole+ on Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Albert Edmund Rudge (1889 – 1966) was a fishing tackle manufacturer who traded as A. E. Rudge and Son and as the Helical Casting Reel Co.

He was born on the 22nd May 1889 to James Rudge and Maria Rudge, née Partridge. Albert’s maternal grandfather Edwin Partridge, a hookmaker for Wm. Bartleet, was also grandfather to Albert Edward Partridge, founder of A. E. Partridge & Sons hooks.

Prior to becoming a tackle-maker, A. E. Rudge and his siblings were inmates in Sir Josiah Mason's Orphanage in Erdington. Rudge then became a commercial traveller (sales rep) and held patents in early vending machines.

He then worked for Illingworth, and when Illingworth's competition-crushing patent on fixed spool reels expired Rudge patented his own reel - the Helical casting reel. (see patents 33008/9 3924 383438)

"A. E. Rudge of Unity Works, Redditch had many years experience in the manufacture of reels through the engineering excellence of J. W. Young. Rudge not only knew and befriended Illingworth in the early Light Casting Reel Company days, but was also instrumental in the research and development of the various models" - John Stephenson, Understanding Threadlines (1992).

He operated from Unity Works, Redditch, and as A. E. Rudge made tackle including a number of “Unity” branded products, while the Helical Casting Reel Co. made "Helical" rods, reels, spinners etc.

Albert married Violet Wall in 1912, and they had one son, Brian. Albert died in 1966, Violet joining him soon after. The tackle company ceased trading in late 1969.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

:rock: Once again, Old Rod, you come up trumps.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Watermole+ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:43 am
. . . A.E.Rudge also used to make beautiful metal Devon minnows, each one perfectly painted and tied to a printed card -for half the price of 'top' brand ones!

An A. E. Rudge Devon minnow from my collection.

Last edited by John Milford on Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Wamfess
Ruffe

Post by Wamfess »

:Thumb:
Fan dabi dosi guys. Now I am confident I have all the info I need on Mr. Rudge, but I am going to look out for a catalogue for my collection.
Thank you again, you are wonderful people.
Bill

Return to “The History & Development of Fishing Tackle”