Hardy shop and Museum.

The Hardy Reels forum.
StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: Hardy shop and Museum.

Post by StefanDuma »

Nigel Rainton wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:51 pm My rod was sold at auction on 18 January 2005 according to the certificate. Sold to Mr David Deacon from Co Durham :-)
Very interesting, did you buy it from David Deacon?

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I don't know, I've forgotten the gentleman's name and all messages between us were lost because of a mobile phone upgrade (sounds like a politician at the Covid enquiry).

I remember him telling me that the rods were sold in bundles of 3 or 4 to prevent cherry picking. He got the Itchen, another desirable fly rod and a tuna rod built like a broomstick. These were rods from the Pattern Room. An example of every Hardy rod was kept to ensure consistency across customer orders. I don't think any rods on loan were included, they all came fresh from the workshop.

This link to my diary tells the story. The rod remains unused :-)

https://sussex-trout-fishing.com/2019/11/10/a-dilemma/

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Thanks for that Nigel.
It looks like things have been going seriously downhill at Hardy for some time. :fish:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

I think I have a rough copy of the 2005 auction catalogue and prices realised. I'll have a search.

Found it. The actual auction was Mullock & Madeley in March, 2005, although I have a vague memory of some more 'pattern' rods being sold at second auction.
It looks like 18/1/05 was the date of the letter of provenance. Roughly 57 Hardy Pattern rods sold in individual lots.

Pete

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Yes I remember it well and the two auctions at Mullocks. Some rods "in bundles" did not make the auction they were sold in a "different way"

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Thanks for posting the auction description, it adds to the provenance of my rod :-)

Return to “Hardy Reels”