Mk IV and stellar senior

The J. B. Walker Rods forum.
EdNash
Rudd

Mk IV and stellar senior

Post by EdNash »

I have just added a MK IV kit rod to my stable of one (the stellar senior) The finish on these rods appear very similar and bloody awful. Does anyone know the original finish for a J B rod. I don;t want to make them all glossy if that wasn't original, they seem almost like a flat matt effect.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Mk IV and stellar senior

Post by Wallys-Cast »

EdNash wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:05 am I have just added a MK IV kit rod to my stable of one (the stellar senior) The finish on these rods appear very similar and bloody awful. Does anyone know the original finish for a J B rod. I don;t want to make them all glossy if that wasn't original, they seem almost like a flat matt effect.
Hi Ed, as they are kit rods they would have been supplied as bare blanks. The finish was down to the person who assembled the rod but the varnish supplied by Walkers with their kits was a gloss finish. Whipping supplied with the kit was nylon unless silk was specifically asked for.

Wal.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

If you’ve picked up a JB Walker (Hythe, Kent) MK1V then you’ve got yourself a superb piece of cane. Richard Walker used their blanks to make his own rods….
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Gloss can look garish - however done well it’s a great finish. I prefer satin or Matt but sometimes keeping convention pays dividends. JB Walker MKIV in gloss!

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:20 am
EdNash wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:05 am I have just added a MK IV kit rod to my stable of one (the stellar senior) The finish on these rods appear very similar and bloody awful. Does anyone know the original finish for a J B rod. I don;t want to make them all glossy if that wasn't original, they seem almost like a flat matt effect.
Hi Ed, as they are kit rods they would have been supplied as bare blanks. The finish was down to the person who assembled the rod but the varnish supplied by Walkers with their kits was a gloss finish. Whipping supplied with the kit was nylon unless silk was specifically asked for.

Wal.
Thanks Wal.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Pallenpool wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:52 am Gloss can look garish - however done well it’s a great finish. I prefer satin or Matt but sometimes keeping convention pays dividends. JB Walker MKIV in gloss!

Thanks for the reply, mine has the straight leg butt ring.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

RBTraditional wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:31 am If you’ve picked up a JB Walker (Hythe, Kent) MK1V then you’ve got yourself a superb piece of cane. Richard Walker used their blanks to make his own rods….
Thanks, it is nice and straight and more slender than any of my B James mk iv rods.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Hello Ed, congratulations on finding such a great rod.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “J. B. Walker Cane Rods”