Degreasing Old Fixed Spool Reels

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Rockape
Roach

Re: Degreasing Old Fixed Spool Reels

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:49 pm
Rockape wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:26 am
Russell Howard Brown wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:06 pm As per the Honorable Rockape I've had 100's of reels in pieces and for degreasing,nothing beats petrol.Also,for removing hard,compacted grease I only use Q-tips,lolly sticks and toothpicks to avoid scraping metal on metal.Better still,write some easy to understand instructions........and get to HER to do it for you.TTFN😎👍
A big thumbs up on petrol; that will beat WD40, hands down, but I have a mortal fear of using the stuff indoors (says he who uses IPA (not the beer) regularly..lol!).

And cotton buds / Q tips; I go through boxes of those like there's no tomorrow!

Btw Russ, talking of having lots of reels in pieces, I saw your TJH Bantam pics today, as I was perusing some old posts, and Wow! What a unique gear arrangement! After seeing that, a Bantam is now high on my list of wants. If you ever see another one for sale please let me know. :Hat:
Hi Rockape,Yes the Bantam had a quite unique internal design.Regarding the TJH FSR's,it took me some time to accumulate all their different models but once I'd got them all my short term fanaticism was sated and I promptly sold all of them !!! If I see a Bantam though,Honorable Rockape will be messaged asap.It is foretold that your quest WILL have a reelly fruitful outcome.......Russ (ShyTangler).😎👍
Bless you and thank you sir :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”